[SOLVED] Strange Terrain Issues from Imported Heightmap

photo

Hello everyone,

I'm in the very early stages of testing out the engine, and im trying to import an 8192 (8193) heightmap, but i'm getting some very strange glitches that look as if sections of the terrain are being repeated and also many of the terrain vertices are stretched very high and very low.

My process is to create > object >  terrain

Then choose import tab with the following settings: 

Overall Size: 8193

Max Height: this varies as i'm still trying to get the height correct

LOD distance: 100

Flip Y: Yes

The file format has been lots of different types, raw, tga, pgm, png, psd, but they all produce the same results. 

The highest altitude in the map is 1024, but when setting the height to that, its way too low. I can't seem to figure out a good value to match.

I'm using the Alpha Engine 2.0 preview r508 in DX11.

post-530-0-91267000-1416212088_thumb.jpg

Hi, thanks for the very speedy reply!

What format? I'm using all kinds of formats and they are a bit large to send (220mb).

I've tried files exported from both World Machine and CryEngine and i get the same results.

It doesn't matter what format, the glitch still happens.

Should i try the older version of the engine?

I've made a tiny step of progress, the stretched vertices glitch is gone, I simply saved and then re-opened.

But now the terrain has some splits in it, dividing the middle up into four chunks.

The four chunks are made up of two different sections of the heightmap, both are repeated and mirrored, and are also different heights.

This was using PGM format.

I can't share the heightmap publicly, can i upload to dropbox and PM you the link?

Another silly question, how do you PM on this forum?

post-530-0-70289900-1416214982_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Sorry, but it seems that we can't reproduce this issue. I've used following settings:

1. 8193x8193;
  2. Height: 1200 / 5000 / 10000;
  3. LOD: 100;
  4. Flip Y: yes;

And I get following results:

terrain_import.jpg

No artifcats at all.

Could you please try to create new terrain from scratch in empty world and check again?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Okay, I deleted my old project directory and started fresh. Created a new terrain object and imported the PGM and it looks perfect.

I have no idea what the cause was, but its fixed so i can move on.

Thanks heaps for your help Silent!