Creating a car

Can anyone help me create a vehicle.

I'm about to throw the teddy bear out of the pram.

I have converted my car body obj to a mesh and got it into the editor

Then I convert a wheel obj to mesh and add it into the editor

I move the wheel to the correct location relative to the body

Stop time

Create physics for the body and the wheel

Then join the two with a wheel joint.

As soon as I turn time on the car and wheel part company, the car goes 100 metres into the air and I have no way of reversing time to find out what went wrong.

I do not use 3d studio max or the like, I am working with pure assets and the unigine tool chain.

Please someone give me a clue?

Ok I have got it going, partly down to me being a newb and a possible bug.

What I did was...

1) Import a body, make it rigid, create shapes and give them mass.

2) Use the tools menu to turn on new mesh inheritance (that is very bad design by the way)

3) Import a wheel as a child of the body.

4) Make wheel rigid, give it a cylinder shape and mass.

5) Select the body

6) Add a wheel joint to the car and connect to wheel

7) setup parameters, the defaults don't work very well for me

8) Repeat for other wheels

Gotcha's

A)  Make sure your wheel is centred about 0,0,0   (My bad)

B)  Do not rotate the body before adding the wheels, seems to screw everything up (possible bug but needs more testing to work out exactly what went wrong)

C) Add the wheel joint to the BODY not the WHEEL (my bad, but with no documentation to cover this, not suprising)

Hope that helps other people, it won't get back the 6 wasted hours I spent trying to work out why my car fell apart though

Joint creation in editor is a really hell :D try to create joints in code, coding is a faster way to create wheels. See a physics car sample (e.g. "samples/physics/car_00.cpp")

Sadly not allowed to.  :(

My brief is to get a system setup so asset creation and import is done by the GA's

So I have to use the editor, lose my hair, kill a few teddy bears, write a help sheet and let the GA's have at it.

I'm starting to hate the editor with a passion and wish I had been a lumberjack instead of a programmer.