Wondering why Unigine isn't open to beginner developers?

photo

I am a part time Indie game developer. I work on Unity, CryEngine etc. I work full time at Zen Technologies,India. We work on Unigine. I was very impressed with what Unigine could do. It was amazing how detailed the demos were and wondered why I never heard about it. But the only problem is that. The basic tutorials/samples aren't good enough for the beginners. I struggled a lot to understand how to use Unigine. It's an awesome engine, probably one of the best in the market. My question is that, don't you think it wold be really good if you gave the demo SDKs for free to those interested? Not just for the commercial companies but to Indie game developers too. We think this engine is awesome. Whenever I get stuck with something, I don't see any support elsewhere than the forum itself. It would be nice if people blogged about Unigine and made it big. So the beginners can learn and the user base would grow up to be a big family. I can only suggest you to build your user community so that there is growth. Personally I find it real hard to learn Unigine on my own. With a bigger community with lots of beginners and tutorials. I feel it would be an amazing thing. Really looking forward to see this engine grow and have big games made in this.

• Like 2

I think unigine is great for the engineers to start up. much easier than cryengine. but on the artist side, its not so friendly. so if your studio has engineer, you should able pick it up quickly. otherwise try to learn some basic script first.

I agree with this, not every artist is a coder and most engines allow for this.

it's a bit annoying when most solutions to problems on the forums are "why don't you just write some code and fix it" whereas with other engines there are hundreds of video tutorials and other artists on forums who have come up against similar issues and found workarounds suitable for artists, not coders.

why not let a limited version of unigine out there so you can get more useful feedback from more people, and at the same time grow your user base and awareness of your great engine?

Unigine is a great engine, but it is sometimes frustrating to use for artists who cant code. the demos show a lot of really cool features, but as an artist I have little idea of how to implement most of them (most of the cool physics things for example are hard coded into the demos). maybe if you gave us more demos that were able to be pulled apart by artists and re tooled to work for us rather than by coders? or made videos to show us how to use some of your great features.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...