External Plugin/SDK Forum Topic

photo

I would like to suggest a new Forum subheading, in which people can discuss the implementation of external plugins/SDKs for Unigine.

To start out we could discuss items such as

- Speedtree Integration

- Road and River Tools - which was discussed in another topic

- Amplify texture (http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/)

- AI systems

- Ocean systems such as sundog Ocean.

- Geomerics

I think its worth opening discussion to see whether people are interested in implementing external plugins and possibly collaborate in porting them to Unigine.

Amplify is currently only for Unity. But since majority of code is standalone C, port to Unigine is possible. AFAIK what I know obout Unigine API, it should be possible. I was speaking with author and for him conversion is only matter of budget, it means enough interested people, who would buy such plugin.

Hi Demostenes

Do you know what the limitations are with Amplify?  I assume there would be some issues with massive texture creation in the first place.

We would be very interested in the plugin if it could be used for terrain diffuse,heightmaps and masks. 

Well, implemenation of Amplify in Unity can take all textures you have and it will automatically build virtual texture (it is huge texture atlas for everything, so there is indeed lots of space for batching based optimizations). You have GUI for that. So if you have any huge texture, you can put it to into virtual texture without any effort. Supporting diffuse texture is only matter of implemenation and flexibility of Unigine API (I am not author, so I cant answer on that). Regarding heightmaps, I think, that height map is used only when importing to Unigine, then engines makes some kind of mesh from it (.ter files). Masks should stay low res (and you need real time access there due to editing), so virtualization will make no sense at all.

Btw, ultra high res diffuse texture makes indeed sense, but why do you want to have height map and masks virtualized? I dont see any added value there.

General advantage of Amplify (or such VT system) is lowering memory budget even if you are using huge-res textures (actually it will be always constant, which you can set) and possibility to prepare various batching optimizations due to nature of such ultimate texture atlas. Artists will never need to care again, if textures are 512 or 4096, it will make no difference on memory budget.

edit:

Here is answer from author (in the context of prepared Amplify Texture 2):

I guess a big limitation is being limited to diffuse + normal + lightmap + displacement only. However, channels can be repurposed for masks or splats.
Another limitation is VT size, which will be 2M x 2M but you can have as many as you need. Using multiple VTs simultaneously is also possible.
VT creation takes a bite of pre-processing time but having a many core machine with a fast disk (SSD) renders the process much more bearable.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

hi! i just wrote to amplify,.. : i was wondering if there are any plans or possibilities to integrate amplify into another game engine,  Unigine in particular would be interesting for us.

as response - "...We're working to port the system over to other engines but this is not something we can guarantee at this point.

It's definitely possible to port AT over to any system, provided that the engine in question allows for that kind of integration. In the case of Unigine we are unsure at this point due to lack of information and well as licensing....."

so to me it seems them guys might be motivated maybe, if unigine would be interested...

-> just give em information and a license for testing! ^^

kind regards

Phil

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...