problem with mesh from maya

photo

hi!

i have an issue with a mesh, when applying normalmap
some triangles at corners of mesh seem somehow flipped or have hard edges.
in maya dx viewport and other engine everything is fine. - uvs are fine, edges are smoothed, vertices merged... - the normalmap is not the reason - can apply any normalmap - those triangles are always bad .

i thought it might be precision/scaling issue - but seems to be not - tried different scalings,....  :(

somehow the mesh tangents seem to get screwed up when importing in mesh viewer or engine
i tried exporting various formats , obj, dae, 3ds, fbx,...  no difference.

anyone has a clue what might be wrong?

regards

Phil

post-302-0-47285200-1375272256_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-73597500-1375272265_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-63548300-1375272278_thumb.jpg

here is a part of the mesh, as example file

probably killing off some triangles and further reducing could solve the issue, but not a good option for me , since there are many parts like that.

regards

Phil

piece.zip

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, the issue with triangles at corners is shown only after applying a normal map in Normal mapper tool.

So, this issue is passed to our developers.

Thanks! And sorry for inconvenience.

hi! - thnx for reply - yes you understood correctly - without normalmap everything seems fine - when i apply a normalmap (can be any normalmap) then there are those issues.

somehow it seems that the tangents get messed up when importing in engine - i can export from maya with mesh exporter and reimport in maya - all good - tangents fine - but in meshviewer them are different, same in engine. i guess this might cause the issue.

kind regards

Phil

• 3 months later...

Hi!

actually this is an easy one , but still weird.

it has to do with space occupied in UV space , i think.

if triangle is too small within uv-space.

weird still, because fine in maya dx11 viewport or other engine.

but scaling object up in UVspace solves the issue.

i have quite a heavy asset, with many materials, but for testing purposes i thought, why not having one normalmap for all them materials and share them on a 16k map.

but then the problem described above got visible on many parts of the mesh,.. so i guess it's better having several smaller maps and give them pieces some more UVspace.

still i'm a bit curious about the reason , why there is no problem in maya viewport for example.

kind regards

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

actually i guess it has to do with UVcoordinate precision.

is there a way to crank up Uv-precision like it is possible for vertices with "render_use_vertex_float 1 "

i thought it should help with Uv-precision as well, but i kind of doubt it, since i got such issues although i'm using vertex float.

for big objects consisting of many parts, it would be very helpful, being able to bake large normalmaps, etc. to keep things organized.

for instance having a 8k or even 16k map that covers all objects sharing a certain material.

any way of increasing UV-precision??

regards

Phil

Hello,

Sorry, but we're still working on this issue.

Thanks for helpful information, but it seems that we can't give you any specific advices at the present moment.

We would try to resolve this problem as soon as possible.

Sorry for inconvenience.

• 8 months later...