[SOLVED] very long load times

photo

Hi,

We have a lot of levels/worlds. These are spread across various builds of unigine.

When we run different levels from within one build of unigine the load times are fast(-ish).

When we run levels/worlds from another build / directory of unigine, the load time on the 1st loaded world is horrendously slow. Subsequent levels/worlds from the same build are normal.

When I go back to the original build / directory of unigine, the load time on the 1st loaded world is horrendously slow... Subsequent levels/worlds from the same build are normal.

It appears that even if the editor and shaders are cached for each of these builds already, when swapping directories / builds, something laborious is happening in computer land.

This is very undesirable when we are presenting to clients for prospective work, as the appearance is that unigine takes forever to load.

Regards,

Nat.

*edit: Windows7

If you can try this, you will hopefully be able to reproduce. Try with valley, or something that has a quite a few material libraries. On the 1st load from a different directory with different binaries, the log will show long .mat loads, even if there is a previous shader cache. Seems it has to rebuild the cache or...?

Any insights?

Nat,

Sorry, may be I don't understand you.

I had tried to reproduce your issue:

- install several SDK builds (different binaries) to different directories
- start Valley from the each of these builds, one after another

The 1st start of each benchmark is really slowly then subsequent. But after that starting from any build goes fast. It's ok.

I understand you correctly, do I?

Hi necris, I appreciate you testing.

I have tried to reproduce on a different computer and have not been able to reproduce. Levels load quickly.

Ignore this bug report. We will investigate more here, it must be something local to that machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi necris

I have managed to reproduce the results in our levels and in Valley.

When i shutdown and restart my computer, then run valley it takes 35secs to load.  If i close and restart valley it loads in 6 seconds.

On some of our levels which have a lot of textures, load times for the first run on the day can be 3.5 minutes, and 30 seconds on unigine restart.

Does Unigine, regenerate some kind of shader or editor cache?

Hi, Steve

No, Unigine doesn't regenerate it's cache. You can check this out by the date of cache files modification.
I'm afraid that long load time depends only on RAM and HDD.

Hi Necris,

I'm back. Thanks to Steve for being able to further focus the issue.

I'm afraid that long load time depends only on RAM and HDD.

I am not convinced. 

Here are some log files. There are 2.

Caches are already generated.

Like Steve said, there is a problem with loading Unigine the 1st time after a Windows start or Windows restart, with a big speed-up in load time on the 2nd time Unigine is run.

Please compare / diff the log files - these may highlight where things choke for Windows at least. I am not sure if this issue is on any other OS.

You will see there is a big delay between the loading of "Interface_x64d.dll" and ""dxgi.dll" in the 1st run of Unigine after Windows start. (50 seconds!) and no delay the 2nd time Unigine is run.

The .mat files and the .world file also take longer on the 1st run of Unigine after Windows start.

(After starting Windows, I did leave the computer alone on desktop for a couple of minutes so it was supposedly ready for use.

Thanks,

N.

1st Start after Windows restart.html

2nd Start after Windows restart.html

I would blame Windows OS file caching for the difference. Maybe you should try to put your data on a SSD harddisk to boost load performance.