[REOPENED] grabber billboard generation

photo

When I am grabbing impostors using latest SDK, they never fit well on original mesh. If I grab them with two months old SDK, everything fits well.

I also tried to generate billboard with 6 months old version and positioning is same, colors different (fits better with original mesh). Is BB generation scene independent, or it uses settings of sun, etc?

Please post images with the previous and the new impostor grabbing results.

I can't see difference for the SDK sample textures.

PM, I ve sent you screens + billboards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi demostenes,

Thank you for test assets.

Difference in generated impostors can be caused by slightly different material settings, such as steam/leaf offset/radius/noise. 

Based on your files I've created simple scene (link is sent to your email) and set steam/leaf noise, offset and radius parameters to zero (basically, just disabled the tree animation). In this case generated billboards are absolutely identical. Tested on April, July and August SDKs.

I hope this can help you in resolving your issue.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I grabbed billboard in clean latest SDK using your scene, but BB still does not fit trees perfectly. From some angle fit is perfect, but from other not. I am using phi 8, theta 2

Hi demostenes,

Could you please provide simple test scene with not-fitting billboards? We'll check it on latest and old SDKs. Generated billboards are absolutely identical on old and new SDKs (you can find samples in attach).

Also, the screenshot of Tools -> Grabber settings will surely help us to get to the root of the problem faster.

Thanks!

textures.zip

---

Hi demostenes,

After viewing your scene we can actually spot the difference in impostors positions, but I can't say that this is actually a bug. In older SDKs gaps between impostor and meshes are the same, but the location of impostor is opposite (please, see the attached picture).

On newest and old SDKs impostors far from camera are looks the same, but in close-up view there is actually some differences. If they are critical to you I can suggest you to slightly move the meshes, so they can fit impostors more accurate. 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

impostors.jpg

---

Hi demostenes,

After viewing your scene we can actually spot the difference in impostors positions, but I can't say that this is actually a bug. In older SDKs gaps between impostor and meshes are the same, but the location of impostor is opposite (please, see the attached picture).

On newest and old SDKs impostors far from camera are looks the same, but in close-up view there is actually some differences. If they are critical to you I can suggest you to slightly move the meshes, so they can fit impostors more accurate. 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

So solution is to move mesh from 0,0,0? Well, it will be quite pain to guess right direction....what is the reason, that BB is not fitting precisely? I checked all our vegetation meshes and some BB are fitting perfectly...

• 3 months later...

Hi demostenes,

The pivot of your tree should be in the center of bounding box in XY plane, it allows you to grab impostors correctly.

I hope, it will help to fix your problem without moving trees.

• 3 weeks later...

pivot of your tree should be in the center of bounding box in XY plane, it allows you to grab impostors correctly.

this is an inconvenient and moving the pivot to centre XY BB will cause other problems for environment creation. I advise against it.

pivot of tree should almost always match the intersection with centre of trunk and ground - which in most asymmetrical trees is not possible to match with the centre XY bounding box!

I would suggest the imposter grabber (and placer) code must accommodate this. Even though at far distance the difference is not that visible or even acceptable, the opportunity to minimise positional difference between mesh and imposter allows imposter distance to move closer and less overhead in forest rendering.

I would suggest the imposter grabber (and placer) code must accommodate this. Even though at far distance the difference is not that visible or even acceptable, the opportunity to minimise positional difference between mesh and imposter allows imposter distance to move closer and less overhead in forest rendering.

Agree.