Terrain+Decals -> AA Artefacts

photo

Hello,

as I overlay Decals over a terrain I get those artefacts (see image).

(I read somewhere, because of performance issues its not possible to do that with AA.)

I definitely do not need those artefacts.

Can I get rid of them?

Thx.

Werner

post-767-0-34716200-1371125322_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello.

has this been solved now?

As I am using a Terrain decal, at certain sun/shadow settings I still see black artifacts emerging om the landscape?

Best.

W.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

As I am using the deferred decals, i am experiencing same artifacts.

Black ants running. It is not that obvious as I use the decals on rather flat terrain parts. But in motion it is visible and creates a very unpleasant effect.

I have set the quality to ultra, if this should effect the shader?

Please help me on that as it is quite distracting from the viewing experience.

It is getting worse on lower resolution. Even it is not possible to get rid of, can I control the render order, to change the 'color of the ants' ?

If it would render against the underlying terrain, then it wouldnt be that obviuos.

Best.

Werner

post-767-0-27848700-1385028378_thumb.png

Hello again,

here I made a small video.

I guess it depicts what I want to show. In a sense this issue is known, but here you see that I have the black ants versus a bright surface, which is very distracting.

It doesn't get any better with lower resolution and it as well does not disappear, using DOF (sure, why should it).

I definitely need to get rid of that, or even reduce it to something which is barely visible. 

Best.

Werner

I am searching on....

So It has something to do with the 'receive shadow' in the material.

I notice a difference between the option ticked and not ticked.

Still the black artifacts are visible.

Further on....

Today I saw, that these black artifacts are coming from the shadowing.

They are as well visible on the landscape itself, not only on the decal covered areas.

I have to check settings.

(The image compression of the uploader here is crunching the jpg down, do it is quite hard to see what I want to show)

Best.

werner

post-767-0-99184200-1385633856_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Further investigation on that topic, as the issue still exists ....

It is definitely the 'cast shadow' of the terrain, which is causing those lines.

As mentioned earlier on, the terrain itself suffers of it, the same way, decals are amplifying these lines.

An effective but (again not very pleasing way) is, to turn off either the 'cast world shadow' in the terrain at a certain sunangle (as we have 24h sun movement) or to turn off the 'receive world shadow' in the decals material. the first option is the better one as it removes the cause totally, not only the symptoms.

So if there is any interest in this maybe someone of Unigine might have a look at this? 

I think, that we can live with that 'turn off option' for now, but it is a hack, not a solution.

Best. werner

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

as we are closing our first project soon, and this issue still exists, I wanted to ask if there have been done work on solving this?

I have implemented quite a lot of tricks to get as good around that issue.

I have animated BIAS and Split settings as well as Distribution settings, AND I switch off the Terrain shadow completely at some high sun angles.

All in all it is ok, but not 100% satisfying.

I really would appreciate some opinion on that. 

Thank you.

Werner

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, sure. (I cannot do it in a technical way, but as I experience it).

We have a bright (sandy) terrain, a camera which is travelling on eyeheight around a character (all real world distances, so approx. 1,7 m) in a circle, so flat viewing angles onto the Terrain.

There is a world light (sun) illuminating the scene with shadows turned on.

In certain combination of sunangle/cameraangle and shadow parameters there are black pixels occuring, basically on polygon edges of the terrain.

(In our scene mostly high sunangles and camera looking parallel to the Terrain.)

It is less visible, on monitors with higher resolution, even at the same render resolution.

Overlaying deferred decals strengthens those lines, which are very visible on top of the sandy terrain.

I found out, that it is caused by the world light shadow (or at least it seems so), as turning the shadow off, the black lines disappear.

It gets more visible, while using higher res shadow maps as 4K and a narrow shadow distribution, and it gets less visible, when the resolution is lower.

But I guess the parameters are just 'shifting around' the effect.

Please see the images above for this 'effect'. (cant add  more as it does not allow me to upload)

Thx.

Werner