[SOLVED] Terrain Hole not affected by LOD possible?

photo

Hello,

is it possible, that the closing of holes, is NOT affected by the LOD.

I have cut out a large area which should stay cut out all the time.

Atm it is 'closing' at a certain distance. (depending on the LOD setting).

cheers.

werner

post-767-0-43440900-1370248372_thumb.jpg

post-767-0-81464300-1370248387_thumb.jpg

is it possible, that the closing of holes, is NOT affected by the LOD.

I have cut out a large area which should stay cut out all the time.

Atm it is 'closing' at a certain distance. (depending on the LOD setting)

No, this is the current terrain implementation, that holes will disappear when zooming out.

Ok.

So I guess, holes are meant to be small gaps in the landscape, rather than big areas.

What I do is, I have a 8K Terrain file (Step 1), and cut a 2k area out of it in the center. In this center I fill a 8K (step 0.25) Terrain to get higher details.

I also could create 4 (or even 8) sorrounding rough terrains around it, but I guess performance wise, this won't work that well. Beside that I would have to deal with many more files.

I will see what I will squeeze out of the seetings. Probably i can set it in a way, that I can work with my scene.

Thx.
Werner

Ok, intention fully understandable, but clear 'missuse' of terrain hole feature :) As you mentioned its designed for small cave entries etc not for high-detail  terrain-in-terrain insets (though such a feature would be quite nice) 

I think I will go a different direction and put my whole terrain ('low res and high res') into one huge terrain, using the higher resolution.

The flatness for each surface tile is quite useful, isnt it?

Does the flatness do bring performance increse, by reducing polycount and render load? I thought so, just by experimenting.

So I could go that way, to increase the steps to create a highres terrain, but lower the outer surfaces, by increasing the flatness.

(I only need a AoI in the center, the outer parts would be 'background' with lower res.)

I also could create 4 (or even 8) sorrounding rough terrains around it, but I guess performance wise, this won't work that well. Beside that I would have to deal with many more files.

Maybe you should try to just define 1 inner high-detail inset and 1 outer low-detail surrounding terrain were you simply delete/deactive the inner surfaces 'occupied' by the high-detail terrain having the exact size of the invisible inner sufaces.

post-82-0-87537800-1370527556_thumb.jpg

heya Ulf,

What do you mean by delete, activate? Huh, did I miss this option? Thats Awsome and exactly what I want.

This was my plan with the hole texture. (But had those LOD troubles).

Nice! That option is cool.

The only thing will be the seams. Have to be careful about that.

What do you mean by delete, activate? Huh, did I miss this option? Thats Awsome and exactly what I want.

Terrain surfaces can be enabled/disabled individualy manually in the editor in surface tab of the ObjectTerrain or via Unigine script setSurfaceEnabled()