[SOLVED] Suggestions needed-terrain height painting

photo

Hi, i was wondering if anyone has good experience with the terrain height painting tools. Currently we are building urban scenery for a train simulator where terrain comes up to the height of retaining walls quite vertically and abruptly, however due to the limitations of heightmap based terrains we cannot get the height to match up without the resulting slope downwards penetrating the wall (no true vertical slopes in terrain)

Of course this could be overcome with a custom terrain mesh on our wall to blend in to the Unigine terrain, however this means adding another step to the content creation process.

Does anyone have any brush setting suggestions to achieve as vertical a wall as possible with the unigine terrain?

Thanks in advance, i have tried every setting i can think of but fear heightmmap terrain can not achieve this as i suspected.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

It's the limitation of any grid-based terrain. You can't create absolutely vertical wall, because distance between two terrain vertices on the XY plane is always fixed and can't become zero.
You should use custom mesh to achieve desired result.

We are using height map terrain in combination with mesh rocks. Level designers are using various mesh rocks to build cliffs, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
shane.ploenges

There are quite good information regarding your height matching problem in our documentation if you've missed it:

Each terrain vertex stores its height in range from 0 to 32768, that is, there are 32768 height levels available to describe elevation changes in range from 0 to the maximum Height in units.
For example, if the Height is set to 1000 (if 1 unit = 1 meter), the minimum difference between the heights that can be created is 3 cm.
But if the Height is set to 10,000, the minimum height change goes up to 30 cm. In this case the terrain would look edgy and coarse.

So, you can't keep big height ranges and get precise enough step for the terrains - you must find the right balance between those factors.

But as an example, your issues can be resolved by just adding higher foundations for all your buildings.