editor egonomy

photo

Lets be honest, ergonomy of Unigine editor is very, very bad. Asset import pipeline is very slow, there is no asset browser (!!!!!!), zero support of drag and drop (just very slow crawling through directories), terrain editor tools are soooooo unconfortable (btw there is no tool for leveling ground to given level, min and max heigt is not sufficent for this and 3 decimal numbers are very unprecise).

Generally problem is not missing functionality, majority of features is there, but how everything is controlled. My artists are already beyond frustration, what they took them minutes is now taking hours and hours (terrain modification, asset placing...). Their productivity is almost zero now. Without asset browser is almost impossible to build scenes, especially if you have several thousands graphical nodes and artists are not the one, who is preparing the library. Changing of texture in material takes ages, because you cant just drag and drop, but you have to crawl through directories.

Unigine support for procedural generation is quite advanced, but any manual editing is hell. And manual editing is absolutelly necessary to make game, it is just second step after procedural generation.

Unigine is technically briliant engine (developers love it), but GUI need serious remake. We hate Unity3d, it is unstable trash, but they have great GUI and asset import pipelne. You should really look at it and use it as inspiration.

Simple question on Unigine team, are you planning to do something with GUI? In case yes, can you please make public list of planned changes? I need to give as task to my developers to do serious remake of GUI, or I will lost members of my world builder team because of frustration. I only need to know what is planned, to not develop something, which will be in next release (for example). Thanks.

We do understand the problem so we've been re-designing the editor UI from the last year. Some improvements on the most problematic parts will be available in March SDK.

Ok, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Changing of texture in material takes ages, because you cant just drag and drop, but you have to crawl through directories.

JIC (maybe you know that already), in the file dialog, you can insert a path into a name field and the engine will jump to the specified location.