[SOLVED] diffuse brush

photo

• 2 weeks later...

Did you assign a diffuse texture to the terrain surface? We've checked a diffuse brush in the latest (December) Unigine SDK - it works fine.

attachicon.gifdiffuse_brush.jpg

Sure, color of detail textures is influented by diffuse texture. I had no problem with this brush when there was only diffuse texture, but when I added detail textures, it stopped working. I will try to dig more into the problem, when exactly this happens.

• 1 month later...

As you can see on the screenshot, there are detail materials assigned. So we need additional info - when you dig it)

This problem is replicated in test scene, I ve sent you as sample of performance drop of multiple billboards. No matter which paiting mode I chose, colors are not painted into diffuse texture. I dont have clue why this is happening, in empty scene it works well.

Jiri,

In the scene you've sent to us there's no per-surface diffuse or normal textures on the terrain, while painting is done on the patch level.

post-13-0-96192700-1361863460_thumb.png

After clicking Terrain -> Diffuse -> Create and creating diffuse textures, they can be modified.

post-13-0-96005000-1361863165_thumb.png

If you need only a coarse diffuse, you can update it after painting and clear per-surface textures.

Sorry for this example, In my original scene, I have all maps (normal, diffuse-made in external program), I only tried to make this export as small as possible, so i deleted most of maps.

So if I understand you well, painting is done on the level of surface (small diffuse texture), not on global level (big diffuse texture from which small ones are made)?

It is somehow possible to make surface diffuse textures from coarse diffuse texture? Create button can create only surface textures with color. I am I wrong, or some older version of Unigine created surface diffuse textures automatically after import of coarse diffuse texture?

Btw, why do we need surface diffuse textures for manual painting? Why not paint directly into coarse texture? It would be sufficient in 99% of cases. We dont need surface textures in majority of cases, it makes sense only when deploying "megatexture".

I ve also noticed, that after creation of surface diffuse textures coarse is overwritten (ok, makes sense), but in case of using larger resolution of surface diffuse textures (2048) performance drop is HUGE, I cant turn camera without falling FPS from 250 to 5 (probably loading of surface textures). So it is nice to have feature to allow high resolution surface textures, but in reality it cant be used (256 is OK without noticable impact).

It is somehow possible to make surface diffuse textures from coarse diffuse texture? Create button can create only surface textures with color. I am I wrong, or some older version of Unigine created surface diffuse textures automatically after import of coarse diffuse texture?

Simply use Import option for Diffuse and specify a bigger surface texture size if compared to coarse one.

Btw, why do we need surface diffuse textures for manual painting? Why not paint directly into coarse texture? It would be sufficient in 99% of cases. We dont need surface textures in majority of cases, it makes sense only when deploying "megatexture".

Because it's patch-level functionality. Just like holes. The pipeline to update a coarse diffuse is there, so do not see a problem here.

I ve also noticed, that after creation of surface diffuse textures coarse is overwritten (ok, makes sense), but in case of using larger resolution of surface diffuse textures (2048) performance drop is HUGE, I cant turn camera without falling FPS from 250 to 5 (probably loading of surface textures). So it is nice to have feature to allow high resolution surface textures, but in reality it cant be used (256 is OK without noticable impact).

That highly depends on the project. Use only a coarse texture if it's enough for you, since it is indeed much faster, no arguing about that.

Because it's patch-level functionality. Just like holes. The pipeline to update a coarse diffuse is there, so do not see a problem here.

Actualy I have to paint changes, then update coarse texture and delete surface textures. Quite strange workflow, I have to include this to build scripts (world builders need to be able to paint, so deletion must happen before build). Well, OK, BUT....

I surely understand your use case, but right now our developers are stretched pretty thin, and there's a workaround for that, so no fixes for now, i'm afraid. Will keep it in mind though for some better times.

Simply use Import option for Diffuse and specify a bigger surface texture size if compared to coarse one.

I dont understand this. When importing coarse diffuse texture (button import) I can pick only resolution for this coarse texture. And when using button create, it creates surface textures, but only with color, not based on current coarse texture.

I need to create surface textures by cutting coarse texture into pieces. I remember, that some time ago editor was doing this automatically during import of coarse texture and since some update, this feature stopped working.

I surely understand your use case, but right now our developers are stretched pretty thin, and there's a workaround for that, so no fixes for now, i'm afraid. Will keep it in mind though for some better times.

I agree, since there is workaround, it is not critical.

I dont understand this. When importing coarse diffuse texture (button import) I can pick only resolution for this coarse texture. And when using button create, it creates surface textures, but only with color, not based on current coarse texture.

I need to create surface textures by cutting coarse texture into pieces. I remember, that some time ago editor was doing this automatically during import of coarse texture and since some update, this feature stopped working.

Creation of surface textures is handled automatically depending on the size of a source diffuse texture and a coarse texture.

• If you choose a coarse texture size to be smaller than the source texture, then it is split per surface.
  • If you choose a coarse texture size to be of the same size (or bigger, which will result in the same size any way) than the source texture, then there's reason to create per-surafce textures.

To make it absolutely clear: if you have 1024x1024 source texture, and set a coarse to 512, per-surface textures are created. If you set a coarse to 1024, there will be no per-surface textures.

To make it absolutely clear: if you have 1024x1024 source texture, and set a coarse to 512, per-surface textures are created. If you set a coarse to 1024, there will be no per-surface textures.

Now it is clear. Thanks!