[SOLVED] user classes and casting

photo

I have created a user class called Entity to extend the functionality of ObjectMesh. It works fine but I want use a Node file that defines physics bodies/joints and materials for the ObjectMesh. I'll try to do something like this:

Entity ent = new Entity(fileName);
Node node = engine.world.getNode(ent.getID());

Entity castedEnt = Entity::cast(node);
castedEnt.test();

class Entity : ObjectMesh
{
Entity(string filename)
{
       ObjectMesh m = node_load(filename);
       extern = m;
}
void test()
{
log.message("works\n");
}
};

When I call castedEnt.test() Machine::do_callucf(): "int: 0" is not a user class shows in the log file. I am guessing you cannot downcast unless Entity's constructor calls ObjectMesh(fileName). But that means I cannot use engine.world.loadNode() and I'll have to setup the objectmesh with my own loadNode script. Perhaps there is a better way?

To initialize extern member you must call base class constructor inside your Entity constructor in this way:

Entity(string filename) : ObjectMesh(filename) { }
// or Entity(string filename) : ObjectMesh() { extern.load(filename); }

This base class construction limits inheritance flexibility because it's impossible to load base class from NodeReference.

To remove this restriction a new function called set_extern() will be available in the next SDK:

class Entity : ObjectMesh {
 Entity(string filename) {
ObjectMesh m = new ObjectMesh(filename);
set_extern(m);
 }
};

This function initializes internal mapping for cast() function if the base class constructor is no called.

You can also store your Entity class inside Node Variable via Node::setVariable/getVariable() functions.