[SOLVED] render buffer refresh when engine.app.setUpdate(0);

photo

Disabling rendering when UNIGINE application is not in the foreground via engine.app.setUpdate(0) is a great way of saving processing power for active application in the forground (e.g. we use interactive UNIGINE data visualization together with Powerpoint presentations for customer demonstrations via beamer).

Nevertheless this causes ugly screen artifacts due to missing render buffer refreshes during window moves for uncovered render window parts

post-82-0-88293500-1349170885_thumb.jpg

It would be great if setUpdate() could be configured with an additional option to refresh UNIGINE window while in background mode with the last rendered scene image (still store in one of the internal render buffers?). This shouldn't cost much performance, but would give a much better overall visual impression.

That's strange, cannot reproduce it on my Win7.

hm, this is strange too ?!? I can reproduce it on every of my WIN 7 machines. Calling engine.app.setUpdate(0) on system init

int init() {

engine.app.setTitle( "RDE Satellite Communication Monitoring" );
engine.app.setIcon( new Image("rde/textures/icon-app.png") );
engine.app.setUpdate(0);
engine.console.run("world_load rde");

return 1;
}

simply disables update of render window when Unigine applicationn is in background and produces visible artifacts when other windows are moved over this render window (which is quite clear as Unigine rendering is disable when in background)

Strange that you cannot reproduce this...may it be possible, that your editor is configured for 'always update' which overides initial system script call to engine.app.setUpdate(0) ?

post-82-0-27349800-1349385015_thumb.jpg

Ulf do you have Win7 in classic mode? As I understand it, If a compositor is running it will have an image of the window buffered that it can use to draw over damaged areas, whereas without compositing the application itself has to be responsible for that task.

Dany, good idea ! I will check this

Edit:

ok, activating Win7 Aero avoids the background artifacts, but this seems to have some performance impacts on 3D rendering when in foreground...but nevertheless at least an option, thanks !