[SOLVED] Another Rooky question

photo

Hi,

Say, I wanted to have a really simple room, more or less naturally lit. The room is a cube,10x10x10m, with one window, perhaps 2x2m, in the middle of one of the cube´s sides and a matt white material on every wall.

I would like at least the following two effects to happen:

1. If the sunlight shines through the window, I would expect the whole room to be lit in the suns color and not only the shape of the window projected onto the wall.

2. If the sun dosen´t shine through the window, I´d like to have the rooms walls across the window lit in a subtle blueish color from the sky.

How can I achiev that? Do I have to use certain material settings? certain render settings, or sunlight settings? Or a combination of all? I can´t imagine that I would have to fake that with manually set omi lights or sth.

Thanks in advance!

That means, I am asking to much? Or is there just no simple answer?

Well, I would say you just picked the hardest part of realistic 3D computer graphics lighting: indoor scenario with light only entering through a window (which means most of the room is not directly lighted as it is the case in outdoor scenarios, but only by multi-bounce light reflection).

This lighting is still hard to achieve in real-time. Due to the complexity of realistic lighting this has to be done most of the time in a modelling tool like 3DMax or Maja with the help of Radiosity non-real-time rendering (see this page for an introduction). These tools can than be used to export so-called lightmaps, which can be rendered in real-time together with other dynamic light sources (spot lights, omni lights).

UNIGINE also offers an in-engine off-line approach for baking complex lighting from multiple UNIGINE lights into lightmaps, so the whole scene can then be rendered in real-time. See this blog for an introduction and read the UNIGINE editir documentation. But nevertheless complex lighting is still a fake in 3D real-time graphics today.

Thank you for your tip manguste. In the meantime we tried out environment textures and lightprobes and found lightprobes to deliver the more satisfying results in our indoor scene.