[SOLVED] Mesh clutter collision

photo

We have quite a few mesh clutter nodes in our scene but for some reason the collision isnt working,

Ive made sure the collider option is enabled and Compaction is turned off, I also checked that the Collision on the individual surfaces is enabled but for some reason it wont work

When I place the meshes as a regular mesh without a mesh clutter node the collision is working

Anyone got a clue what is going on?

I just checked the mesh clutter samples and it appears the collision on those mesh clutters isnt working either but on regular meshes or terrains there is some basic collision present

do we need a proper player script to enable the collision on all objects?

MeshClutter and MeshCluster objects are used purely for rendering. Collisions and intersections are no calculated with meshes inside of them. In this situation you can:

• Stick to using WorldClutter instead of MeshClutter.
  • Use MeshClutter to render objects and an invisible WorldClutter with the same parameters and mask (for them to match). Besides being invisible, WorldClutter needs to have:
    • WorldClutter should have a MUCH smaller radius around the player.
    • A mesh in nodes with a simplified geometry (very rough and plain). As an alternative, the node can have a shape in form of a primitive (spheres are the fastest ones).

MeshClutter and MeshCluster objects are used purely for rendering. Collisions and intersections are no calculated with meshes inside of them. In this situation you can:

• Stick to using WorldClutter instead of MeshClutter.
  • Use MeshClutter to render objects and an invisible WorldClutter with the same parameters and mask (for them to match). Besides being invisible, WorldClutter needs to have:
    • WorldClutter should have a MUCH smaller radius around the player.
    • A mesh in nodes with a simplified geometry (very rough and plain). As an alternative, the node can have a shape in form of a primitive (spheres are the fastest ones).

Thanks for explanation. AFAIK worldclutter is significantly slower than meshclutter, so for for example forest it is out of question. Anyway I cant imagine forest without collisions and forest will be the most used implementation of meshclutter. It would be good idea to cover this automatically, without manual setting of world clutter with same mask...

Mesh/WorldClutter is designed for small sized "eye-candy", not for large-scale objects with game play interaction

Yeah that is clear to me now, wasnt clear to me before I posted this here

I just looked at the valley demo and thought meshclutters were the way to go

Mesh/WorldClutter is designed for small sized "eye-candy", not for large-scale objects with game play interaction

So what is proper solution for placing trees? Valley demo uses mesh clutters and there is no better example how to prepare such scene. AFAIK world clutter is slower, so no way to go.

So what is proper solution for placing trees? Valley demo uses mesh clutters and there is no better example how to prepare such scene. AFAIK world clutter is slower, so no way to go.

Was wondering the same thing, I still have to try out the sollution Manguste gave with the invisible WorldClutter but im afraid this will give a performance impact