[SOLVED] setting surface specific common material settings

photo

Hi,

doing an evaluation of Unigine and its suitability for our purposes. At the moment I am still just busy trying to get it to load our existing content. Which goes mostly fine except for some material details.

I import everything for now with "mesh_base" as material and set the diffuse texture with Object::setMaterialTexture to whatever our model says it should. (On a sidenote, does this function as a material parameter or does it create a sort of implicitly inherited new material?)

I already tried some things with our custom shaders and Object::setMaterialParameter seems to work fine as well.

It is with the stuff on the 'common' tab that I run into problems. For instance I have a scene where several objects should be alpha tested. If I load that scene and go into the editor I can set "Alpha Test" to checked for each surface that needs it without it affecting other surfaces using the same material. So similar operation to textures, states and parameters.

However, I can't seem to find the appropriate function to do the same from C++ or script?

Object::setLightMask, Object::setViewportMask, Object::setCast(World)Shadow are there, but order, offset, and most of the other checkable options seem to be missing?

Thanks!, that works.

Is there any difference (performance wise or other) between an instanced/implicitly inherited material and an explicitly inherited material?

Performance-wise only the total number of different used materials has an impact as required state changes increase draw call count. Nevertheless I would expect that usage of explicitly inherited material hiearchies tend to give better performance when reused as much as possible for rendering of multiple objects/surfaces. Implicitly inherited materials might lead to highly increased total number of material instances (= requires state changes, breaks batching, bad performance-wise) without the user really being aware of this fact.