[SOLVED] Graphics card capability testing for WidgetSpriteNode

photo

Hello,

We use WidgetSpriteNode for 3D GUI objects. On lower end graphics cards, when using WidgetSpriteNode our application will crash. So naturally we want to disable use of WidgetSpriteNode when the graphics card cannot handle such a task. The problem we have is how to test the graphics card for compatability with this object. I assume the use of IDirect3D9:CheckDeviceFormat (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb174309%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) could do it but I am unsure of what parameters to query. Any suggestions on how to solve the matter would be much appreciated.

I now have a solution. Moving to DX11 code makes things much easier.

UINT supportFormats;
pD3D->CheckFormatSupport(DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM, &supportFormats);

checking against all support formats should show me whats different about the lower end cards and hopefully I should be able to work out what needs to be supported to do this. I assume D3D11_FORMAT_SUPPORT_RENDER_TARGET and D3D11_FORMAT_SUPPORT_BLENDABLE to be likely candidates. You can mark this thread as solved.

Seems that the only differing values I get are for D3D11_FORMAT_SUPPORT_MULTISAMPLE_RENDERTARGET and D3D11_FORMAT_SUPPORT_MULTISAMPLE_LOAD. Does this mean WidgetSpriteNode applies antialiasing? If yes, can this be turned off?