[SOLVED] ObjectMeshDynamic Points/Lines support

photo

Proposal

At the moment ObjectMeshDynamic only supports triangle geometry. For special GPU geometry shader based customization (e.g. GPU-based spline rendering, point clouds, etc) some form of support for POINTS/LINES/LINE_STRIPS vertex input geometry is required.

ObjectMeshDynamic
{
addPoints( int vertices );
addLines( int vertices );
addLineStrip( int vertices );
}

I would like to see this too (or something that achieves the same thing). At the moment, we have to convert triangle primitives to points or lines in our geometry shaders - while this has worked for what we need so far, it's certainly not ideal.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

would it be possible to get support for implicit line strip splitting/restart by specifying -1 vertex index ? We would like to draw large amounts of line strips with different vertex counts with a single draw call.

The feature has been implemented and will be available in the next SDK.

Primitive restart will not be available because it is not supported under Direct3D9 and OpenGLES.

The performance difference between line strip and line list is almost zero on current hardware.

• 7 months later...

I will remove points/lines feature from ObjectMeshDynamic.

ObjectDynamic with arbitrary vertex formats and rendering modes will be added instead.

Sounds like an even more flexible solution. Especially arbitrary vertex formats accessible from script can be very helpful for doing some customer-specific shader implementations requireing some extra vertex parameters 

I will remove points/lines feature from ObjectMeshDynamic.

ObjectDynamic with arbitrary vertex formats and rendering modes will be added instead.

It will support line/point width? and mouse pick operations? Actually I'm creating an invisible version of the same line mesh to be able to intersect with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Line width must be simulated by geometry shader. This feature is not in the graphical pipeline anymore. Point size is just a shader output. Pick and intersection operations will not be supported.