[WONTFIX] Random crash in Unigine

photo

Hi,

First, as you can see in log file there are huge missing content such as nodes and textures, especially nodes. This will get you null references and etc. which can be major reason of random crash. Try to cleanup your content and then look for crashes. If it still happens then you can give callstack to us.

Second, the callstack you given provides minimal information because there is no debug symbols included during debugging process. Could you provide callstack with debug symbols enabled?

Hi unclebob,

Even if there are multiple missing assets, I'd expect Unigine to be robust enough not to crash. In fact, Unigine does not crash most of the time and as I said in the thread title, this is very random. I'd say the easiest way to troubleshoot this kind of ting would be to share Retail symbols with your clients. We had requested this earlier by mail, but got no response.

Hi Ashwin,

As far as I know, you have binary SDK license. This type of license contains debug symbols so you can see callstack properly. Please check your lib folder for Unigine_x86d.pdb and Unigine_x64d.pdb files.

Maybe I get you wrong. What do you mean by 'Retail symbols'?

@unclebob

This crash does not happen when we link to Unigine_x86d lib or dll. This seems to happen only when we link to the Unigine_x86 (retail) libraries. we cannot use the Debug pdb's with the retail libraries, can we? This is the reason why we are unable to give you the callstack with proper symbols. I am not an expert in this, but i doubt the pdb's you mentioned can be used with cashes that happen inside Unigine_x86 (not _x86d). This is why we requested symbols for Unigine_x86 libraries.

This is a bit like the service that Microsoft's symbol server offers where one can get pdb's for a lot of released windows components, Visual Studio etc.

Hello Ashwin,

Sorry for late reply. I can build release symbols and binaries for you. Could you specify your platform and engine revision?

Thanks!

Hi @unclebob

I tried downloading the zip file 5-6 times (with and without using download managers) but everytime I tried to open the file, it says "archive corrupt".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ashwin,

Sorry for late reply. Looks like crash appeared when you select one of the units that newly created. Am I right? Could you provide that skinned meshes. If possible, provide to us your game build. It'll help us a lot to get to the problem.

Also, try to set world_threaded to 0 in config file and try to reproduce this crash.

Thanks!

Hi unclebob, thanks for your reply.

We can't say exactly what caused the crash as lots of things happen on screen when crashes happen. My guess is that it's not a trivial case like selecting a new unit, because this crash is not very frequent, though we have regular playtests all through the day.

If I'm not wrong Team Unigine already has access to our builds, if this is not the case do let me know and I'll follow up on getting you access.

We will try your suggestion of "set world_threaded 0" hopefully performance won't be compromised....

We will try your suggestion of "set world_threaded 0" hopefully performance won't be compromised....

This will disable multi-threaded node update, so in case of greater numbers of update-intensive objects (e.g. ObjectParticles, WorldExpressions, ObjectMeshSkinned,.. ) this will increase your update time per frame

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We tried disabling the world_threaded 0 approach, but it hasn't helped much, attached are all the crashes we've had over the past week from our users.

post-225-0-43632600-1340961239_thumb.png

post-225-0-66885000-1340961267_thumb.png

post-225-0-52270400-1340961285_thumb.png

post-225-0-11148900-1340961302_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by these call stacks, the most probable culprit of crashes is referring to a non-existing object. That would explain the randomness. The same advice is in effect: clear up your resources, load them properly and send us reproduction steps.