[SOLVED] Terrain grabber question

photo

I just tried the terrain grabber and I was wondering why my detail materials are not baked into the texture

It does grab all of the objects placed on the terrain but the detail materials are being left out

Im using grabber with the new overlap detail material blend mode, could it be possible that the overlap detail materials arent added to grabber yet?

Hi Rob,

Engine need some 'warm up' to render overlap detail materials. When grabber tries to render all your stuff to a texture, some overlap materials might not being rendered.

Try to set render frames to 3 in grabber parameters. Also, try to increase distance scale before grabbing (this can slow down your performance). Does it solve your problem?

I set the distance scale to 50 and the render frames to 3 but it still doesnt seem to grab the detail materials

Any other things I could try?

I just tried to grab the lightmap for the terrain but this gives very strange results too

Everything seems to be divided into different surfaces for some reason, so im guessing my settings are wrong but I cant seem to figure out what

here is a screenshot, dont think I can send the scene atm the project folder is about 4gb

As you can see in the screenshot I am using a simple sand detail material, the brown you see is the diffuse color of the terrain

so when I use grabber I want it to take the detail materials but for some reason these are being ignored

As you can cleary see in the screenshot the shape on the terrain is fading under the detail material while in grabber it isnt faded at all as you can see in the small grabber thumbnail

post-509-0-11498600-1334139179_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, actually, there's no problem with the Grabber :) Simply increase the Lods distance (Distance scale has no influence over it!) and the grabber will bake the diffuse together with detail materials.

A little bit of gritty details, if you are interested in them. To bake a terrain-wide diffuse, per-surface textures are baked separately, one by one, as if a camera is placed right above the center of each surface. This is done to bake view-dependent detail textures (they are seen only on 1-4 LOD levels) and WorldClutter, WorldCluster, etc.(they place nodes only around the camera).

And if you get strange tiles or stripes on the resulting lightmap, disable HDR (because if HDR is enabled, each per-surface camera is baked with different lighting conditions).

I'll add this to docs.