NavigationMesh/PathRoute problems

photo

Hi,

I've been trying to get NavigationMesh with path finding working with our simulator and I've found a number of problems. Some appear to be clear bugs, others may be bad content/misuse but I'll post them all here.

1) I've found that if I have a NavigationMesh in my world file, the PathRoute class fails to find any paths when I attempt to perform path finding. If I create a NavigationMesh dynamically via "new NavigationMesh" using the exact same mesh, the PathRoute finds paths. The attached mesh is an example of this, if you need further information to reproduce this problem let me know.

2) PathRoute seems to find paths that go outside a NavigationMesh. This can be observed in the attached video, and I've broken this down further. If you run the sample mesh_00 and replace the mesh with the attached mesh and replace mesh_00.cpp with the replaced version you can observe the behaviour I've seen (shown in PathOutsideNav1.jpg and PathOutsideNav2.jpg). We can get around this using obstacles but this is more work/less ideal for our artists.

3) PathRoute seems to have difficulty generating paths on the edge of polygons. If I place my object near the edge of a polygon there are no paths found at all. The example video NoRoute shows my person walking along and regenerating a 2D path every frame within a single navigation mesh (the one attached) with no obstacles. As the object gets to the edge of the polygon, no paths are calculated. I've tried tuning PathRoute::setMaxAngle to get this to work but to no avail. I've also ensured that I raised the z value of the arguments to PathRoute::create2D to be well within the boundaries of the navigation mesh.

4) PathRoute calculates suboptimal paths at polygon boundaries. Sudden changes in direction are seen when the path is calculated near a polygon boundary. See BadRoute movie for an example of this.

Can someone please comment on these.

NavMesh.zip

Thanks for report.

1) Seems to be working for me. Could you provide test scene where PathRoute fails?

Edit: Ok, I reproduced this issue. It's a bug. The quickest workaround for you is to set up Height for your NavigationMesh again.

2) 3) 4) It'll be fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...