NavigationMesh creation rules

photo

We're currently trying to use the NavigationMesh and pathfinding and having a few difficulties.

In script I do

NavigationMesh m = new NavigationMesh("mymesh.mesh");

m.renderVisualizer();

When I load my world I see the navigation mesh, however I also see logged

NavigationMesh::create_polygons(): 8 wrong edges

Which isn't particularly useful. As a result none of my PathRoute code generates any paths (well that's what I'm observing anyway)

Is there any guidance/rules on building meshes that can be used as a NavigationMesh and what is expected. Currently I'm getting our lead artist to hack away at a mesh in 3DSMax to see if we can fix these problems but without any further diagnostics it's pretty hard to figure out what's actually wrong here.

Technically this means that 8 triangle edges are assigned to more than 2 triangle polygons (maybe some degenerated 0-length edges or so). You should post your mesh for detailed problem debugging.

Would it be hard to change the renderVisualizer such that these edges are highlighted in a different colour or you could log the coordinates of the verts where these edges are? Figuring out the shared edge cases in our meshes sounds like a time consuming process.

Id personally like to see the NavMesh conversion provide appropriate indication to which verts are the problem. Then, either remove the verts and create a _usable_ NavMesh or appropriately fail. Creating broken data with limited feedback to the user is not useful to anyone.

Cheers,

Dave

Requirements for a mesh are added into docs.

Sounds perfectly reasonable, but it's not likely our devs will have time to implement this in the nearest future, sorry.