Achieveing manga-like look

photo

I am aiming to achieve manga sort of a look for Steel Storm 2. To put it simply, something similar to TF2 characters' shading with thin colored ink outlines.

However, here are examples of what I want for the game to look like:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/268/9/8/pepper_delivery_by_artgerm-d4avpe8.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs28/f/2009/247/b/7/b78e4f452d5e535dab83cfcdfaec9afb.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/231/4/8/481facd472badfd4e066b97b01f176dc.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7TBwRlG1iY

Has anyone done something like that before? How do I go about achieving such looks?

Thank you.

yeah, I got that one, but that's why I said "to put it simply" :rolleyes: I tried explaining what I need to achieve before, for other tech, and people didn't get it until I mentioned TF2. However I don't want for people to say "oh, it's looks exactly like TF2". however, thanks anyway.

until I mentioned TF2.

Wasn't clear for me that you where already talking about Team Fortress 2 when overflying your post :rolleyes: Just remembered that valve paper I read years ago and hacked the reply into the keyboard

First off you are going to have to build your content to look at least similar to the style you are trying to achieve. Maybe using textures that are painted in this style would be a good start, and keeping background textures very flat and undetailed.

As for the rendering, i dont think Unigine has an existing post process filter like that, howevr there are a ton available if you look around, so you may just need to do some porting of shader code to Unigine.

good Luck

Thanks. Hmm.. For some reason I think I saw couple of games powered with Unigine with cartoony look. While textures need to be stylized, the shading of the models and the world + inked outlines are features glsl shader should take care for afaik. I am an artist, not a coder so I am not sure :rolleyes:

This shader example has the problem that it uses multi-pass rendering for outlines (something UNIGINE does not support for custom materials). Therefore for generation of outlines most probably some post-processing shader based on sobel edge detection has to be used e.g. something similar as described in this paper. UNIGINE already provides a basic sobel post-processing material, might be a good starting point, see Sanctuary demo.

• 3 weeks later...
Try different LUT texture. You can modify the whole rendering pipeline by patching shaders.

Is there any way Unigine team can build such shader for us? Sobel doesn't do what it needs to do what we need. Take for example the image you posted. Shadow on the right doesn't need to have outline. Texture details don't need to be outlined.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/231/4/8/481facd472badfd4e066b97b01f176dc.jpg Let's look at this image. As you can see, the colored ink outline happens only around the geometry. Diffuse texture details are ignored. I would say that the filter needs to use normal map instead of diffuse map to create outlines around the surface details (and that should be controlled as sometimes only rough or rather deep details need to be outlined).

The shading itself doesn't have prominent shadows and the transition from light to dark is subtle.

Don't think that Unigine will find the time. I would recommend to search internet for edge detection/outline algorithms fitting your needs best. In general in the post-processing shader you can use diffuse, depth and normal for per-pixel shading. In addition certain areas/material could be masked via auxiliary buffer rendering and testing in final composite shader. Actually I haven're found any manga shader on the internet and I would guess that all your example images are hand-drawn. So it seems to be quite difficult to reproduce that look...

Alexander is just giving an example, of course these pictures are hand-drawn (I've also seen this CG artist on deviantart :)). And sorry, we do not plan to add cartoon-like shading. If you wish to discuss implementing additional features at your expense - you are welcome to write at support@unigine.com to discuss that.

....If you wish to discuss implementing additional features at your expense - you are welcome to write at support@unigine.com to discuss that.

I do wish to do that and I e-mailed you already.

We have a lot of scheduled work so feature requests can't be handled instantly, sorry.

Please provide us more specific requirements with references from real-time 3D projects (not hand-drawn art), it will help to estimate the feature. Achieving the clear hand-drawn look will require a lot of research, which doesn't fit into the current development schedule.

The openGL 4.0 language cookbook talks about using a geometry shader to create toon style outlines (this looks like it might work but will perhaps constrain you to newer hardware).

There is no need to do it with OpenGL 4.0 specs. For example DarkPlaces just got this manga shader (although not as advanced as I wanted to, but sufficient for now) and it was done in a matter of few hours. If Unigine devs can't do it, they are more than welcome to look how DarkPlaces does it. And it works even on Intel X3100.

So, I am looking for a GLSL / HLSL savvy coder who can grab DarkPlaces GLSL shader and implement it into Unigine. Anyone?

• 2 years later...

The openGL 4.0 language cookbook talks about using a geometry shader to create toon style outlines (this looks like it might work but will perhaps constrain you to newer hardware).

1. You need to provide information about the adjacency of vertices. This can be done by changing the index buffer.

2. Requires a geometry shader with input parameter layout( triangles_adjacency ) in.

3. C++ engine core must call with draw mode GL_TRIANGLES_ADJACENCY. This item requires changes to the materials, meshes classes.