Default FPS Controller problems

photo

Unigine 2.16.1.0 Community (DX11)

Windows 10

GT72 2QE Dominator Pro, i7-4710HQ, 16 GB, GeForce GTX 980M 8 GB

-

Both videos were recorded using 'High' rendering preset, default C# scene.

On stutter video, while moving with WASD keys and moving mouse left and right I get very stuttery/jittery image. I don't think it has to do with rendering, but default FPS Controller.

But maybe it is, I don't know. At least I don't get anything like that when orbiting the scene in editor viewport.

On another video player gets stuck sometimes. I press 'W' the entire time, even when looking in the opposite direction of stairs.

I know anyone seriously using the engine will make his own FPS Controller, but it just gives a bad first impression when trying the engine.

unigine_fps_controller_physics_stuck.mkv unigine_fps_controller_stutter.mkv

Hello Armikron,

Thank you for your feedback, we successfully reproduced the issue with sticking to stairs and we'll improve fps controller behavior for this case in future releases. Regarding the stutters in camera movement, we were unable to reproduce this issue so there might be some additional conditions that cause this problem, could you please enable performance profiler ("show_profiler 2" in console) and check if there's any spikes on profiler chart, just to make sure it has nothing to do with rendering. Also please check what your average FPS in scene("show_fps 2" in console) 

Hello.

I recorded a new video with console commands. Sorry for huge size, I just can't get good quality out of OBS.

I want to add that I experience this in both Float and Double made projects.

I see a lot of spikes in the video, so it's rendering related? Strange that I don't notice it in editor.

unigine_fps_controller_stutter_2.mkv

Edited by Armikron

We've tried to reproduce these spikes on same series desktop GTX 980, but unfortunately no success, also from microprofile dump it doesn't looks like performance issue in some specific object\effect. Does these spikes appear only on high render preset, or it also happens on lower ones?

Also similar spikes appeared in previous releases, then they've been caused by force enabled vsync in nvidia control panel. The issue was fixed for 2.16.1, but maybe some specific hardware configuration still can be affected by this, could you please check graphics driver version and state of vsync setting in nvidia control panel?

From the latest videos it seems that there's no spikes in rendering profiler so visually it should be better, still some jittering can be experienced cause of unstable FPS on high preset. You can try to smooth fps by using render_max_fps or enabling vsync.