2.15->2.16.1 upgrade lose OBJ scale import setting

photo

Hi,

We migrated a lot of objects from 2.15 to 2.16.1, with the OBJ format. ALL of them had their scale import setting reset to 100.

So we had to review all single one of them and re-do the import with the correct scale.

Please fix for the next upgrade :) Thanks

Hi Stephane,

The issue here is that the OBJ files generally has no information about unit scale, and the FBX SDK by default assumes that all the OBJ files are exported with 1 unit = 1 cm scale. In 2.16.x all the OBJ files will be imported with the scale of 1 unit = 1 m, so previously imported cm files will be scaled incorrectly.

It's hard to deal with OBJ files because if we fix one set of models the other will become scaled incorrectly, so it's impossible to create a 1 click importer that will always scale objects correctly. We do recommend o use formats with an explicit scale (FBX, for example).

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I understand that there is not "good" default value for OBJ import. But once the obj have been imported with a scale value, this valus has to be stored somewhere with the asset (in the meta file?). My issue is that the scale I precociously selected for each obj has been lost when doing the upgrade.

(Note: some had a scale of 1, some of 100, some of 0.01... yeah OBJ is a mess, but converting all of them to FBX is not a sane way either) 

This is our oversight, we forget to add OBJ files scale for automatic migration (need multiply by 100 scale parameter of each OBJ file meta). Unfortunately, right now when you already upgraded to 2.16.x you would need to fix this OBJ files manually.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: