The only thing holding Unigine back

photo

So..... where's Houdini support and a new modern updated particle system to actually handle proper particle simulations? This is the last final thing that's holding unigine back in my personal opinion and curious where it's at on the road map!

5 hours ago, stanislav.botev said:

Yes, totally agree here. The lack of support of external tools is a real problem.

I've sadly had to switch back to UE5 solely due to the limited particle system and houdini support, it's a shame too cause I love all the other aspects of unigine :(

9 hours ago, werner.poetzelberger said:

Well, dont forget where Unreal is coming from ..... it was a particle system Engine ;)

Still doesn't explain the lack of houdini support none the less such an old way of handling particles, looks like something from 2008-2010 while the ocean sim/cloud system/etc. is even better than Unreals, I just don't see much of an excuse for such an old way of handling particles that's all, regardless if UE started out as a PS engine.

I was looking about the particle system yesterday, sadly is very limited for vfx for what i can see, also, i think it lacks important shaders too, like a good skin shader or hair shader, even unity is working on that and one feature i need is a visual WYSIWYG UI creator. That being said i really want to use Unigine in my future projects, it has some great features and a really nice render

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Miguel-Alejandria said:

I was looking about the particle system yesterday, sadly is very limited for vfx for what i can see, also, i think it lacks important shaders too, like a good skin shader or hair shader, even unity is working on that and one feature i need is a visual WYSIWYG UI creator. That being said i really want to use Unigine in my future projects, it has some great features and a really nice render

Sadly I don't think this thread or issue is going to reach the right ears and if it does, I don't think they care enough to update a whole new particle system + shader system when it's the #1 thing it's lacking in right now sadly besides houdini/etc. support :(

Development history and origins are important to look at to get a broader understanding why and how products are developing in particular ways.

Comparing products in IT has such a long tradition and mostly its flavoured with personal expectations and disappointments or mostly just too little research combined with poor explanations and lean knowledge, and sometimes its just rude language.

Be grateful that there is diversity.

b.w.

Edited by werner.poetzelberger
On 12/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, TheHighFlys said:

So..... where's Houdini support and a new modern updated particle system to actually handle proper particle simulations? This is the last final thing that's holding unigine back in my personal opinion and curious where it's at on the road map!

I think as soon as you buy a full license, the developers will add any feature you want especially for you.
The particle system looks good, and the engine has enough other more pressing issues to deal with that the developers are looking into.

17 minutes ago, nikolay.sykharev said:

I think as soon as you buy a full license, the developers will add any feature you want especially for you.
The particle system looks good, and the engine has enough other more pressing issues to deal with that the developers are looking into.

if you really think the particle system looks good when it barely has a proper skin/hair shader none the less no actual particle simulation.... idk what to tell ya man, that's legit the most pressing issue in VFX/games right now is good particle systems and taking advantage of houdini, if you nor the devs can see that then I don't see Unigine progressing much as an competing game engine, only as a simulation engine for companies and that's it, if that's what they're aiming for that's fine but that doesn't seem to be their long term goal. Again I have other options I can easily take advantage of with what I said already, I'm bringing this up because unigine is the only one out of unity/unreal/etc. to not take advantage of this system.

9 minutes ago, TheHighFlys said:

if you really think the particle system looks good when it barely has a proper skin/hair shader none the less no actual particle simulation.... idk what to tell ya man, that's legit the most pressing issue in VFX/games right now is good particle systems and taking advantage of houdini, if you nor the devs can see that then I don't see Unigine progressing much as an competing game engine, only as a simulation engine for companies and that's it, if that's what they're aiming for that's fine but that doesn't seem to be their long term goal. Again I have other options I can easily take advantage of with what I said already, I'm bringing this up because unigine is the only one out of unity/unreal/etc. to not take advantage of this system.

Your post looks like - a car for the drift championship, the main problem was that it looks very bad smoke from under the wheels and this is what prevents it from taking the lead.
The particle system is the least of the problems.

5 hours ago, nikolay.sykharev said:

Your post looks like - a car for the drift championship, the main problem was that it looks very bad smoke from under the wheels and this is what prevents it from taking the lead.
The particle system is the least of the problems.

if there's more noticable problems in unigine then the particle system than that's concerning in of itself, not a huge unigine user as again the limiting particle system made me go back to another engine, hopefully they take competing with at least godot seriously before even godot starts out-updating them :/