Dangerous behavior of Editor Save World if disc is full, and other things

photo

Hi,

I just discovered a behavior of the editor which might happen not too often, but is not good.

My harddisk was completely full (00 bytes left) ... The sandworm was creating data and filling up the drive.

The editor crashed, I wanted to reopen the worldfile but it was completely empty (at that time i didnt realize that the Disk was full.)

Then I wanted to create a new world file, which also was empty.

I think some safety would be good, to give warnings when disc space is under a certain amount.

Also Sandworm has to give warning before running complete out of space. To prevent crashing, or give warning before creating the landscape.

Anyway, I was just starting with a prototype (and didnt make any backups of the world...) but not much lost.

An Autosave function for the .world in general would be to good consider(?) (to turn on/off). Or some a different safety save option.

Sandworm window does not reset with the "Reset Window Layout" which is a bit annoying finding it when lost on multiple monitors..... ;)

Cheers.

Wermer

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

Hi Werner,

Yes I agree, some improvements can be done there. We do have similar tasks about zero or close to zero space left with Editor, but they are still scheduled for some future versions.

Sandworm estimations are also a bit tricky, you can only guess what would be the final sizes of cache and landscape itself.

World autosave is, however, a whole new world :) It should be done only after all other features and free space checks will be implemented to avoid the same situation when you do save world and as a result zero bytes file is being saved. Also current world save is only available from main thread so working with a big project can be quite annoying with this feature enabled. So a lot of small and big improvements would need to be done before it can be implemented right.

Sandworm window does not reset with the "Reset Window Layout" which is a bit annoying finding it when lost on multiple monitors..... ;)

Hmm, that's strange. Will take a closer looks at this behavior. Thanks for reporting!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: