Strange artefact in debug exe version with landscape

photo

Hi,

I have a very strange landscape artefact when running our app in debug. Everything is looking fine with the release exe version, but the debug version shows strange circular black lines around the player and the terrain texture is not showing correctly. Startup line is the same for both debug and release, loading only IG, CIGIConnector and DISConnector.

What could be the cause?

Capture d’écran 2022-11-09 130017.png

Hello!

Stephane, usually we would say that something like this are caused by incorrect ObjectLandscapeTerrain settings for sure, but as far I understand there is no problem in release build with the same parameters, right? As for me it seems quite strange that the behavior is different for release and debug binaries.

Is there any special code like "if" conditions for debug build to simplify rendering in terms to make it work faster?

Can you confirm that the global settings (Settings -> Landscape) for ObjectLandscapeTerrain are the same for both cases?

As for example, this black line circles should be fixed by tweaking "Settings -> Landscape -> Geometry -> Geometry Polygon Size" parameter. You can call from the console "render_landscape_terrain_geometry_polygon_size" command and compare returned values for both builds. Will they be the same?

In fact, it may be just a bug. In this case it would be great if you could send us a sample to reproduce the issue on our side. I guess ".lmap" asset within a ".world" and ".render" file would be enough.

Thanks!

There is no "if" or whatever specific in the debug build. All settings are the same for both build. geometry polygon size is 0.0001 in both cases.

I think you already have our lmap as I has send it aa few month ago for a landscape performance issue, so it should be easy to reproduce on your side.

Note: I usually never use the debug build with a landscape, as until now I only used it with a default test scene, just in case we had a segfault or to quickly debug some feature. It might be the first time we use it with a landscape, so this issue may have been there for a long time.

Hello!

Stephane, indeed we still have that scene and will try to reproduce the issue on our side (we weren't sure if it was the same scene as before). Are you still on patched SDK 2.15.1 or already updated to 2.16.0.1?

As a possible solution may I ask you to completely remove ".meta" file for specified world asset and check if the described behavior still here or probably gone?

Thanks!

I suspected an issue with our patched binaries, so I created a new 2.15.1 from scratch, copied ALL its dll/exe to our bin folder. But now, the issue is also present in the editor???

Then, I reverted to our binaries, and terrain is fine in editor but not in debug. If I replace just the Unigine_double_x64.dll with the stock version, then again I have the issue in the Editor also!

What is going on? What are we doing wrong?

11 minutes ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

This looks like it is highly specific, so I will create a ticket for the rest of the discussion, and attach a test project for reproduction.

Thank you for this. We would glad to continue the discussion in separate support ticket.