Grass in Landscape Terrain is too high/low

photo

Hello,

If I create an ObjectLandscapeTerrain with (several) LandscapeLayerMaps, my vegetation is floating above the ground or partially under the ground. I couldn´t figure out why it behaves like this, but I can create this effekt with an ObjectGrass and MeshCluttern, independent from the meshes, textures and materials which are used.
On flat surfaces it seems to work fine.

I added two pictures, so you can see better what I mean.

Since there was already a similar bug with SDK 2.14 which was fixed with 2.14.1 maybe this is a similar one?
Or could it be, that the LandscapeLayerMap needs a higher density to work as expected?
The current Data Density is 0.8862 meter/pixel.

I hope someone has a solution for this and I am just not overseeing something very basic, but I already looked into the tutorials and documentation and could´nt find the solution for this.

Kind regards

Grass_tooHigh.PNG

Grass_tooLow.PNG

Hi, 

Have you tried making the mesh clutter a child of the landscape layer maps? (Just drag the meshclutter node onto the landscape layer map) This should set the mesh clutter to follow the landscape layer map.

Ben 

51 minutes ago, ShadowZelda said:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, I tried this too, but it gives me the same result as shown above.

Hello!

@ShadowZelda since mentioned above recommendation does not help - may I ask you to share entire scene (or lightweight sample with essential data only) via support ticket to give us a chance to see what's caused this issue on our side?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

@deitty Yes, there were two main problems which caused this issue.

1. Check your ObjectLandscapeTerrain settings: if it looks as it should with an default render template, some setting is causing the problem. Simply change the settings to the one which is working and try to adjust them afterwards step by step if you have to change them.
2. Are you using MeshClutter or the ObjectGrass?
MeshClutter should work fine, but the ObjectGrass which comes with the Vegetation AddOn isn´t correct tiled. So the bottom of the billboards is attached to the ground, but it looks like it is floating because the texture is cut out by the alpha channel of the texture. So you can use an offset or change the texture to fix it.

Hope this helps

Edited by ShadowZelda
7 hours ago, ShadowZelda said:

Hi,

@deitty Yes, there were two main problems which caused this issue.

1. Check your ObjectLandscapeTerrain settings: if it looks as it should with an default render template, some setting is causing the problem. Simply change the settings to the one which is working and try to adjust them afterwards step by step if you have to change them.
2. Are you using MeshClutter or the ObjectGrass?
MeshClutter should work fine, but the ObjectGrass which comes with the Vegetation AddOn isn´t correct tiled. So the bottom of the billboards is attached to the ground, but it looks like it is floating because the texture is cut out by the alpha channel of the texture. So you can use an offset or change the texture to fix it.

Hope this helps

thanks for your sharing very much. I now use the grass from Quixel, it looks good