Animation Retargeting/Sharing

photo

Hi. I want to ask about retargeting animation in Unigine. I tried to apply one .anim file into different meshes and it works fine. But the problem is that some meshes are stretched following the original mesh that the animation are retargeted to. Is there any solution for this problem? I'm still new to game engine so I don't have an advanced knowledge how .anim file works. I assume that there's a way for one .anim file can be used on multiple meshes without disrupting their original mesh. 

Image 1: All meshes are applied with the animation retargeted to their respective mesh in blender. For example on mesh A,  Assuming that I have an Idle animation, and then the animation are retargeted to model A.fbx in Blender and then result are imported into Unigine which then the .anim file are used on the model. Same goes to the mesh B and C.

image.png.1473e6e7a95ec9ad72335115304837b9.png

Image 2: The problem is when I applied the .anim file of Mesh B animation on all other meshes, the meshes would stretches following Mesh B proportion causing the original mesh of A & C are not preserved.

image.png.aa6d7dbf964863d5715c70ed16aa7e4e.png

So, is there any retargeting tools that Unigine has that can overcome this problem? Thank you :D

Hi.

There is no retargeting option out of the box.

You would need to write your own solution.

I think, that Unigine team plans to rework the whole animations system in upcoming releases. Check the Roadmap!

They plan it in 2.16!!

Retargeting definitely is a feature which enriches the pipeline massively.

@Unigine ---- is Retargeting a feature which you will include in some way?

Best.w.

Edited by werner.poetzelberger
  • Like 1

I see. Thank you for replying. Right now my workflow is more to standardizing the mesh and bone size of each character so that any animation fits with multiple meshes though its not the best solution but it works for the time being. 

• 1 year later...

I'm just going to add my vote/request (for what it's worth) for adding Animation Retargeting in a future update.  I've been evaluating Unigine for porting my game project from Unity, and it's been looking very promising so far (you have some amazing stuff in this engine guys!).  The current lack of retargeting is a drawback for sure.