[SOLVED] Save world of runtime generated files

photo

Hi all,

I am trying to save a world with runtime generated assets inside. Currently, I am importing .fbx-files via the importer during runtime. All necessary files (.node/.mesh/.mat) were generated without any issue and I can interact with it as usual.

But when calling World::Save() the engine won't save the complete world with my imported files. In the past, the node ownership was handled manually and passing new nodes to the editor does the trick. But it was removed with the 2.10 update and your re-work of node handling in general.

So is there an way to add an runtime generated node to the engine, so it will be also saved in the .world-file?

Best

Christian

Edited by christian.wolf2

Yes, enabled it right after import stage for the root-dummy, also with SetSaveToWorldEnabledRecursive(true) but still no difference in my .world-file.

christian.wolf2

Everything should work fine with SetSaveToWorldEnabled call (at least we are using the same API inside Editor):

node->setShowInEditorEnabledRecursive(true);
node->setLifetime(Node::LIFETIME_WORLD);
node->setSaveToWorldEnabledRecursive(true);

Could you please prepare a small reproduction scene so we can check with debugger on our side as well?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi silent,

I figured out, what the problem was. I called detachReference() from the imported file before SetSaveToWorldEnabledRecursive(true). This seems to have no effect. Is this an expected behavior? Calling this function before detaching from the reference gives me the correct result.

Old code:

NodeReference importedNodeReference = dataImporter.ImportedNode; //returns the loaded NodeReference from our .fbx file
Node detachedNode = importedNodeReference.DetachReference();	//detach our node from the reference
detachedNode.SetSaveToWorldEnabledRecursive(true); 				//have no effect.

New One:

NodeReference importedNodeReference = dataImporter.ImportedNode;	//returns the loaded NodeReference from our .fbx-file
importedNodeReference.SetSaveToWorldEnabledRecursive(true);			//this is working - enables saving the node
Node detachedNode = importedNodeReference.DetachReference();		//detach our node from the reference

//.... Do whatever you want

So thanks to both of you and sorry for the confusion.

Best

Christian

No, we are currently working on 2.14.1.1. It is not an critical action because we found a "workaround" if it is a not an intended behavior. It is only good to know how internals work for future projects and issues like that.

Hi silent,

in order to reproduce the problem, I experimented a bit with NodeReferences. I tried to import an existing .node file via this piece of code from the documentation: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.15/api/library/nodes/class.nodereference?rlang=cs#detachReference_Node

As far as I understand, I can detach a node from a reference to use it on its own. But when I tried the example code in a project (the template C# project from SDK browser reproduces the same) and I executed the following code:

NodeReference referenceNode = new NodeReference("csharp_template/template_props/primitives/sphere.node");
            Node sampleNode = referenceNode.DetachReference();
			referenceNode.DeleteForce();
            sampleNode.Enabled = true;

The application crashes right after deleting the NodeReference using DeleteForce(), leading the sampleNode as a null-pointer (seems to be deleted as well internally). Is this an intended behavior (because from the Documentation I read otherwise)?

EDIT:

I can finally reproduce the issue. The error appears, when a .node is created at runtime and loaded from a NodeReference right afterwards. When the NodeReference already exists (it was created in the editor for example), than everything is working fine. The error raises in 2.14.1.1 and in 2.15 as well. For further testing, create a new C# project and add the following code to the WorldLogic.h:

public override bool Init()
{
	// Write here code to be called on world initialization: initialize resources for your world scene during the world start.

Node primitiveNode = Primitives.CreateBox(vec3.ONE);	//create a runtime node
	World.SaveNode("csharp_template/template_props/primitives/example.node",primitiveNode);	//save it to as .node
	NodeReference referenceNode = new NodeReference("csharp_template/template_props/primitives/example.node"); //load it right afterwards
	sampleNode = referenceNode.DetachReference();
	referenceNode.DeleteForce();

sampleNode.Enabled = true;		//exception raised

return true;
}

Maybe because of that, the initial issue also exists.

Best

Christian

Edited by christian.wolf2

christian.wolf2

Thanks, now it's more clear.

By default in C# runtime all nodereferences are being unpacked on startup: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.15/api/library/engine/class.world?rlang=cs#UnpackNodeReferences

So you can do a World.UnpackNodeReferences = false;  inside AppSystemLogic and everything should work fine.

Or if you need to keep UnpackNodeReferences = true you can do detach in the following way:

NodePtr sampleNode = referenceNode->detachReference();
sampleNode->setParent(nullptr);

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] Save world of runtime generated files
34 minutes ago, silent said:

So you can do a World.UnpackNodeReferences = false;  inside AppSystemLogic and your code will work as expected.

Awesome, that solved my problem. Thanks for the explanation.

Best

Christian