Thoughts on Unigine for someone completely new to game dev?

photo

Hey guys!

I've always wanted to build a game, i just started to get into it recently. Been messing around with quixel mixer for unreal engine. Unigine seems unique and catches my eye, however if you were to give advice to someone completely new. Why would you want them to use unigine over unreal or unity? I want to make the switch, however i just find theres a lot of features with quixel bridge and i already gathered a lot of assets from unreal each month from the "free of the month" section. Its just hard to justify the switch for me unless theres somehow similar features within unigine i didnt notice

Hello, and welcome back Bonksz.
As already stated in the Unigine Discord, It depends on what you want to do with the Engine, and what your skillset is

As an Artist, you might prefer Unreal. As they (Unreal) bought Quixel, and you've lots of assets right away - Including the use of Blueprint.
Which will allow you to prototype fast, without knowing how to code.

Yet as an programmer you should take Unigine in consideration.
It combines Unreals Renderpipeline and Unity's Component approach.

Overall Unigine is very intuitive, and their Tutorials are more straight forward than Unreal 

Biggest minus on Unreal is the C++ integration - So I'm happy Unigine supports C# (Including C++ & UniScript).

Please keep in mind, that at this moment there aren't many specific tutorials.
As: How To Create a whole simple RPG.

Unigine has a "How To (Quick Tips)" Playlist on YouTube
Besides that, there are less Tutorials than Unreal Engine has

• Like 3