Aird Lodge / Archviz Scene

photo

Aird Lodge, Sleat, Isle of Skye, UK

I am happy to share the completion of our archviz project, in collaboration with my friend and fellow architect; Carlo Alberto Follo. As this is our first collaboration we undertook this speculative project to design a house that would be integrated and connected to its natural landscape. This mini-project acted as a learning experience for both of us - I had fun integrating Unigine into an archviz work pipeline.  

I am very interested in the visualization parts of architectural design, and design that is integrated intimately into its surrounding environment, so naturally using an engine like Unigine was perfect for us to implement designing and visualizing architecture within a large specifically designed environment.We are both very happy with the quality of output from Unigine for our architecture cinematic (found below), and will be looking forward to using it for further archviz projects together. 

Below is short cinematic sequence of our design and some screen-grabs of our scene. As I am still definitely a Unigine amateur, I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on any improvements I could make with any further work in Unigine!

Thanks for reading! 

Full Quality Video on Youtube:  https://youtu.be/7kCUQgyxv1A

Architecture + Interior Design: Carlo Alberto Follo (https://www.instagram.com/carlo_alberto_follo/)

Environment Design + Visualization: Ben Lucas (https://www.instagram.com/ben_inmotion/)

Ben

frame_12.jpg

frame_54.jpg

frame_150.jpg

frame_225.jpg

frame_235.jpg

frame_285.jpg

frame_424.jpg

frame_454.jpg

frame_526.jpg

frame_596.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Ben,

I've been following your work for quite some time (actually, since the first Instagram post with Unigine visualization with LandscapeTerrain) and always enjoyed the mystical atmosphere that you created in your videos.

In Aird Lodge terrain shots are also very solid, combined with great music gives very good feelings during the watch.

It looks like you didn't use lightmaps for interior scenes, am I right? You can get better visuals (and much more detailed lighting) with them, but it for sure would take some time to configure and bake them properly :)

Congrats to you and you friend Carlo Alberto for such great visualization!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thank you both for the acknowledgment - I appreciate it! 

12 hours ago, silent said:

Hi Ben,

I've been following your work for quite some time (actually, since the first Instagram post with Unigine visualization with LandscapeTerrain) and always enjoyed the mystical atmosphere that you created in your videos.

In Aird Lodge terrain shots are also very solid, combined with great music gives very good feelings during the watch.

It looks like you didn't use lightmaps for interior scenes, am I right? You can get better visuals (and much more detailed lighting) with them, but it for sure would take some time to configure and bake them properly :)

Congrats to you and you friend Carlo Alberto for such great visualization!

Yes you are correct Silent (you have a keen eye!) I only used voxel probes for the ambient lighting, these were great for ease of use and quickness. Is there any resources about using lightmaps in Unigine? Is it required that each 3D model has a UV layout? Or is that not necessary? For this project we mainly used Sketchup for the 3D modeling, however Sketchup doesnt do UV mapping. 

All the information about lightmaps are gathered in this article (including set of video tutorials): https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.15/editor2/lighting/gi/lightmaps

Second UV channel for lightmaps can be automatically generated on import if you will enable corresponding option, so you don't need to unwrap it manually.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

6 hours ago, silent said:

All the information about lightmaps are gathered in this article (including set of video tutorials): https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.15/editor2/lighting/gi/lightmaps

Second UV channel for lightmaps can be automatically generated on import if you will enable corresponding option, so you don't need to unwrap it manually.

Okay, got it - Thanks for the link, ill try to implement light mapping in our next project :D

• Like 1

Lovely to see some work results.

There is very little going on in the showcase section. Great to see some actual finished work.

Ben, looks great! Love the Exterior views!
Archviz is always difficult as expectations today are crazily high. Especially when it comes to Realism.

You did a great job.
Keep it up. Develop your own style.

All the best.
Werner

• Like 1
16 hours ago, werner.poetzelberger said:

Lovely to see some work results.

There is very little going on in the showcase section. Great to see some actual finished work.

Ben, looks great! Love the Exterior views!
Archviz is always difficult as expectations today are crazily high. Especially when it comes to Realism.

You did a great job.
Keep it up. Develop your own style.

All the best.
Werner

Hi Werner, 

Thank you for the comments - I very much appreciate it!

I definitely agree with you about expectations in the Archviz scene, as software becomes more and more advanced and photorealism is more attainable.. then yes everyone expects it. 

Will keep on learning and improving!

Many thanks, 

Ben

• Like 1