WMIC Error

photo

My Windows 11 preview just updated to 22483.1000 and I started getting:

CSPropertyGenerator started

'wmic' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

WMIC is depreciated and it looks like it won't be shipping anymore. (It isn't in this build).  It seems to have broken things...

Yeah, there is a PowerShell equivalent, so not a not big deal to fix. 

Is there a manual workaround for now? I'm dead in the water.

And/or is the source code (if it is C#) for CSPropertyGenerator available? I may be able do a short term fix for myself. And, I've been curious about what is going on in there anyway.

It seems to effect the relationship between Visual Studio and the Editor. I work primarily in Visual Studio and create components there. When CSProp fails, properties for these aren't created and I can't use them in the editor. 

As a workaround you can create an empty wmic.exe app (that will do nothing when executed) and copy it to the one of the %PATH% locations of your system. That should remove the wmic warning from console and probably restore the other functionality.

You need to restart SDK Browser / Editor after this modifications.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

This area of the architecture is part of what the moving Components "up" item in my 2.15 Wishlist was about. I could see CSProp, the "C# Components" stuff, and build commands rolled into an integration module with its own UI, etc.  The module could provider better support for "Pure C#" to "C# Component" integration, and could provide hooks that support building VS Extensions for Unigine.

• 11 months later...

In my case, I had %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem on the path already, but a recent USB device driver I installed additionally added C:\Windows\System32 to the end of my path, and this stopped Windows from finding the wmic command. When I removed the trailing C:\Windows\System32 from the path, wmic was found again.