convert to mesh decals convert also materials

photo

Hi, is there a possibility to convert "en masse" regular meshes to decal meshes and so also their materials on the fly (in editor) ? If not,  is it to possible to convert a bunch of mesh_base mat to some decal_base ?

Hi Romain,

I'm afraid right now there is no such functionality available out of the box inside the Editor. I think it's possible in general to write a code on your side (either in Editor plugin or directly in your app) that will do the whole things.

I've also will create a feature request regarding a more convenient way of creating mesh decals inside the Editor (let's say by right clicking on mesh and selecting "Convert to -> Mesh Decal"). I think it would be quite useful in numerous cases.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Silent, thx for first answer, don't get me wrong, it's already possible to select some meshes and right click --> convert them to  mesh_decal, it's just that in that case (when those meshes are already in the workd with some mesh_based materials onto them), they converted with the blank decal_base material associated to them. So it would be super handy if materials would also be parented to the decal_base. (in case of oversight, or just to ease the workflow)

but for the last tip I think It(s a nice workaournd and try that too

Thanks

Edited by romain.janil

Also it looks like Convert to mesh decal option is already available:

image.png

But it will not preserve material settings and reset it to decal_base. Also you should be very careful here because Radius parameter of auto-generated decals may be too high.

We'll see how we can improve this behavior (but more likely after 2.15 release).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: