Particles disabled on slaves when out of view in master

photo

Hello,

We use particles to generate a rotorwash when the helicopter is landing on sand. But the effect is invisible in all slaves if the master can't see the particle emitter! This is critical because the master view and slave views are unrelated!

Also, the particles are emitted from a mesh clamped to the ground beneath the helicopter. Hence, this mesh is never visible from the pilot point of view. So the effect never "starts" if the master has the same point of view, because the emitter is always out of the frustum. So we would need to create a sensible "bounding box" for the effect so it can get activated by the frustum culling.

So to sum, there are 2 issues here:

1. frustum culling in master influences slaves
  2. frustum culling for particles emitter is too severe and can inhibit an effect that should be visible when fully deployed (while the emitter itself is not in frustum).

How can we solve theses?

Thanks!

Hi Stephane,

If you need to have an object that would be updated when invisible, try to use Periodic Update:

Just set some FPS for case when Object is not rendered.

Will this fix your current issue?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Silent,

I'll try it. What if we have a dozens of such effects (rotor wash, cloud dust behind tanks, boat wakes, chimney smoke)? Wouldn't this setting put some high strain on the engine/network? What would be a sensible value for the update if invisible? (1fps, 10fps?)

(note: I think a good addition would still to be able to define a "FPS bounding box" where the fx is supposed to exist, to be used as a *minimal* bounding box for frustum culling)

Edited by Amerio.Stephane

You can check profiler values after this modification, but I didn't expect that this only flag will affect a network load (but the all the particles enabled simultaneously - will for sure affect network load).

(note: I think a good addition would still to be able to define a "FPS bounding box" where the fx is supposed to exist, to be used as a *minimal* bounding box for frustum culling)

Yeah, it would be nice, but that's will be very slow. So we have only these 4 parameters to operate (it should be enough for most of the projects).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

3 hours ago, silent said:

but that's will be very slow

Sorry, I don't understand why checking an additional bounding box would be so slow? What about a bounding sphere then? The point would be to consider an fx starting just out of the frustum as if it's partially in the frustum with this extra bounding region. Or did I miss something?