FBX SDK Version - prefered version ?

photo

Hi,

I am currently dealing with the import pipeline of Unigine and exporting FBX files to Unigine.

Unfortunately I could not find a clear indication in the documentation about the currently used FBX SDK.
The link in the documentation at https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.14.1/code/cpp/plugins/fbximporter/?rlang=cpp refers to FBX SDK 2019.
However, an object exported by Unigine 2.14.1 refers to FBX SDK 2020.
Is the FBX SDK 2020 currently being used or is another version being used?

Which FBX version is recommended for static objects that contain for example LOD levels?

Which FBX version is recommended for animated objects?
Which export settings are recommended here? The same as for static objects?

It is clearly described in the Unreal documentation that the files should be exported with FBX SDK 2018 in order to work in Unreal without problems, because the UE4 import pipeline uses FBX 2018. Other versions could therefore potentially cause problems.

Is there a similar behavior with Unigine or it basically doesn't matter which FBX SDK the files are exported with, since the latest FBX SDKs are also supported? Are there any potential error sources here?
Can FBX files from Blender cause problems because they don't use the official FBX SDK?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ShadowZelda said:

Can FBX files from Blender cause problems because they don't use the official FBX SDK?

Hi, from our own experience, the Blender FBX importer can sometimes break some important features, such as UV map. But we couldn't find a clear reason why it would break on some and work perfectly on others (95% is ok). It's not clear either is the culprit is the FBX exporter from Unigine or the FBX importer from Blender (though it's most probably the latter). On the contrary, I never had any problem when importing into Unigine something exported with Blender.

Hi ShadowZelda,

Unfortunately I could not find a clear indication in the documentation about the currently used FBX SDK.

The link in the documentation at https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.14.1/code/cpp/plugins/fbximporter/?rlang=cpp refers to FBX SDK 2019.
However, an object exported by Unigine 2.14.1 refers to FBX SDK 2020.
Is the FBX SDK 2020 currently being used or is another version being used?

Sorry, seems like a wrong link, the currently used FBX SDK version is 2020.0.1 (will fix the link ASAP!). Information on current versions of 3rd-party software can also be found here.

As for recommended SDK versions, basically it does not matter which FBX SDK the files are exported with, since we support the latest version FBX SDKs, shouldn't be a problem.

Which export settings are recommended here? The same as for static objects?

Basically they're similar, except for the Animation Import section. Detailed information on each setting can be found in this article.

As Blender uses its own custom FBX-parser there may be some rare issues (like Stephane mentioned) with the exported content (seems like not on our side), however they try to fix such things.

Thanks!

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

Yeah, Blender is a little bit tricky if it comes to FBX but I was curious if there are some versions which could lead to more or less potential errors. But from your responses I think this is not the point and most of the time its doing its job. Otherwise I may have found more specific questions or postings about it. But interesting to know anyway.

If no specific FBX SDK is recommened, most of the questions are obsolete; thanks!