Shadow distance

photo

Hello,

Is it possible to "scale" the distance of shadows for a specific object, surface, or material?

Currently, I have to clone thousands of objects, mark the originals as Visible+No shadows+Max Vis=4000m and the clones as Invisible+Shadows+Max Vis=40m. They have the same geometry (600 triangles each). I feel it would be easier to just "scale" the shadow distance.

Thanks!

On 10/7/2021 at 2:50 AM, Amerio.Stephane said:

Hello,

Is it possible to "scale" the distance of shadows for a specific object, surface, or material?

Currently, I have to clone thousands of objects, mark the originals as Visible+No shadows+Max Vis=4000m and the clones as Invisible+Shadows+Max Vis=40m. They have the same geometry (600 triangles each). I feel it would be easier to just "scale" the shadow distance.

Thanks!

Hello!

Stephane, got your point but unfortunately you could not adjust "shadow scale" for separate objects since it is set globally.

For our internal projects we use almost the same pipeline as you described but we do not clone objects. We turn off LOD's shadows and create a special one with simplified shadow LOD. This is allows us to adjust the distance of shadows for specific objects.

But if you are looking for very distant shadows, then it might be a solution to use screen-space shadows where settings may vary from camera distance. When camera is near you can make it to cover only small geometry, while on the distance you can configure it to looks like a true shadows.

Thanks!