[SOLVED] Billboard_base alpha test and overlap

photo

Hi,

We use transparent billboard_base for some Head-Up-Display simulation. As we also use scriptable materials for the terrain, we have to enable the "overlap" flag on the billboards so they are drawn after the scriptable materials.

But I found out that the overlap flag is not supported for the "Alpha Test" mode. Is this an oversight? Could it be fixed?

Sidenote: there is no "transparent shadow" for alpha-blended billboards, so we have to use alpha test mode here again. Could it be added?

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

Hi,

We use transparent billboard_base for some Head-Up-Display simulation. As we also use scriptable materials for the terrain, we have to enable the "overlap" flag on the billboards so they are drawn after the scriptable materials.

But I found out that the overlap flag is not supported for the "Alpha Test" mode. Is this an oversight? Could it be fixed?

Hello!

Stephane, could you please provide any screenshots on this? It also would be great if you can attach used material for reproduction on our side.

Sidenote: there is no "transparent shadow" for alpha-blended billboards, so we have to use alpha test mode here again. Could it be added?

It shouldn't be a problem to add this, since billboards pretty similar to mesh_base. It just wasn't added before because there was no requests on this I guess.

I will add this as feature request on our internal board.

Thanks!

Here is an example of a billboard with shadow:

image.png.c5f2f7ea07b29fbba62ea1d8e3ae3bcf.png

mapmarker.zip

It is a "map marker": essentially an unlit billboard, fixed screen size, with a shadow to help the user "feel" the actual pin-pointed location. Alpha-blend leads to a rectangular shadow (bad), alpha-test deactivates the overlap mode.

Hello!

Stephane, thanks for the asset you sent, now it's a little bit clearer what's going on.

You see "overlap" state are made to be used with transparency only and it will not work as you expected, since basically alpha-test is non-transparent preset.

We have to take a step back and figure out why scriptable materials are drawn over billboards so you forced to use "overlap" state.

So, if this is not expected behavior may I ask you to turn off "Deferred Buffers" on state tab? This might help with the issue.

The other thing you could do is adjust "Rendering Order" on common tab in terms to make billboards drawn over scriptable material.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • bmyagkov changed the title to [SOLVED] Billboard_base alpha test and overlap