sandworm suggestion: mask feathering

photo

What would be great is having ability to feather (ie convolution or blur) masks result directly in sandworm; There's already a threshold option which is nice and works as expected on non "abstract" color indexed landuse sources. What would be cool is if one extracts an indexed color from a landuse (so obviously sharp on/off selection), is that it then would be possible to convolute this extracted mask directly in the tool so it won't be necessary to do that in source data (and thus multiply source data). I guess of course it would lengthen processing time of course.

22 hours ago, romain.janil said:

What would be great is having ability to feather (ie convolution or blur) masks result directly in sandworm; There's already a threshold option which is nice and works as expected on non "abstract" color indexed landuse sources. What would be cool is if one extracts an indexed color from a landuse (so obviously sharp on/off selection), is that it then would be possible to convolute this extracted mask directly in the tool so it won't be necessary to do that in source data (and thus multiply source data). I guess of course it would lengthen processing time of course.

Hello!

I'm sorry but we are not quite sure what exactly feature you are looking for. Is there any chance I can ask you to do some illustration with the effect you want to customize?

You said you done it with source data by preparing it somewhere in 3rd party application. So, could you provide images with before and after results then?

Thanks!

Hello, it's just a way to apply fast "antialising" at mask borders, in case of binary masks (typically coming from a landcover classification), masks will have sharp and thus stair artifacts at big densities (which are logically wanted with lancovers otherwise it become insanely unhandy). So here as an example , I extracted the color index corresponding to roads:

image.thumb.png.d99b3185866b235f4e79fa5df5462c6e.png

then I applied a convolution (a 5*5 pixel blur)image.png.5f41b1402dd457fd760bb5158941e283.png

So the result is :

image.thumb.png.bf783f902ff5817582e8294a24f31a9a.png

of course size of the convolution is dependent on the mpx density of the mask. This is intended to reduce stair artifacts when later applying detail materials to a mask.

If this could be done in sandworm (ex: specify a feathering value, or a ramp or blur value) this would simplify a lot the process.

Let me konw if it's still unclear, anyway I tested it a it worked nicely with then masked by albedo details for asphalt, markings fading along road boundaries...

Hello!

Got you point, thanks for the detailed description.

Such feature was discussed time ago, but so far we have no plans to implement it since the request was not very frequent.

I will add a ticket at our internal tracker as feature request.

Thanks!