the landscape doesn't cast its shadow on itself and other object

photo

hi I confirm this might be a bit problematic for large terrains (200km*200km or more) where it will be difficult (yet possible) to have an invisible shadow caster grid of lowpoly terrain meshes.but

image.thumb.png.90416699318b706f99674a5c1ece5451.png sounds as a mater of fact at the moment necessary to avoid un-shadowed objects, buildings or vegetation in valleys at short distances...  

image.thumb.png.e764cab41dacaf15688e5fe43093d559.png

Edited by romain.janil
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I confirm this lack of landscape shadow can be problematic in some terrain cases. Especially in our location, we have a lot of cliff with trees and buildings at the top near the cliff, and their shadows appears to be isolated on the ground below. This looks odd.

As a workaround, what would be the drawback of having an invisible TerrainGlobal with a very low resolution underneath the Landscape object? Landscape performance is just amazing, so we don't want to hinder this by adding a lower performing object in the scene...

Thanks!

Thanks for recommendation Slient, I was also tempted to go for some invisible TerrainGlobal because it's way more convenient to produce but lowpoly meshes seem only way to keep high perfs.

Screenspace shadows have some drawbacks too:

• they don't mix good with multiple adjacent screens and/or projection blended screens
    • Render borders can help, but it doesn't work with EasyBlend app. This could be a great improvement by the way, to also enhance bloom and other screen space effects!
  •  Also, we find that grass looks far better when screen space shadows are disabled. It would be great to have better options for SSS and grass, as it's a pity we have to disable SSS because they look nice everywhere else :)

Yep, for multiple projections there is very few things we can do. We'll see if it's possible to implement border rendering for EasyBlend, since it's quite limited in features.

Screen-space shadows have a lot of tweaks, so I believe there should be a way to get a good results for grass objects too, but it would for sure take some time to adjust :)

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: