FBX Import from 3ds Max 2020 (Object Alignment)

photo

Ive looked everywhere to get a answer and cant find it, Google, this forum. I'd like to see if anyone knows how to import assets through FBX or maybe even a better file format that will maintain the coordinate relationship between different meshes like they are in the source program?

DustyMoore

Basically you don't need to do anything for that. Just set up the pivot point that would be used to calculate relative coordinates for all the other object in the scene. Or that will not work?

Maybe you can show us video or screenshot what do you really mean?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Sorry, didnt have the follow option turned on for this topic. From what I can find out through this forum and which I believe youre saying now is that I need to set all pivots on my 3rd party app (Max2020) to zero first before export? Maybe theres another way to do this? But tutorials say or even show to "drag the asset into the editor window" which of course negates coordinate positioning. But then re-align with the Position X,Y,Z coordinates to zero?

Edited by DustyMoore

It's hard to suggest anything because it's not completely clear what you want to do.

If you need to set specific position of the model it can be done via entering coordinates for the root node inside the Editor. Alternative way - reset the pivot to zero for your model before export and position your model relative to the new pivot coordinates. After importing such model back into the Engine you would need to set the root node position to zero to match the original pivot point position.

I think you can simply do couple of export- imports to understand what method will work for you best.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Yes, and sorry, I talk in different directions sometimes but basically I had figured out that same idea. I aligned pivots in Max to zero. After import to Unigine, I could replicate the positioning of each object by setting the object's pivot to zero coordinates as well. Sometimes though, for some reason, it looks like the pivots of all objects were not aligned to zero in Max and upon import, their positions were all over the place. I think this could be fixed by adding a Reset Transform modifier to the objects (then collapsing the modifier to the object) before export. More experimenting. Thanks for the confirmation on that.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont know if you are familiar with scene arrangements workflows in general.

A good method is parenting with specific nodes.

So you set a parent node, which holds the children with their local positions.

Cant do much wrong with that. It is supported by most of the data formats for exchange between software.

Transoformations are still in 2021 not uniform across software and systems, so certain things might become specific.

FBX is a good format for the basics.

;)

best.werner