Material Rename Function /Name Tab Missing in 2.14.1.1

photo

Hi, I use to rename my materials in unigine by simply typing it in the name tab in the parameters  where we see the material ball, right next to it, As shown in the Images below

4.thumb.JPG.e5e5cc34ff8f0adf3df532bb94ae1868.JPG

5.thumb.jpg.4d3e4a6f7ebeba0024c322576a5ea932.jpg

6.thumb.JPG.e0d148d01cd1324becf4190b9e03c941.JPG

Now i cant change it in 2.14.1.1  coz tehre is not tab, is it moved or something. It was very easy to do with that tab

1.thumb.JPG.c2468b2a0b6d6b82f70dd3ffc277ca53.JPG

2.thumb.jpg.b494b8c39781fb556101cdf3046cb8ef.jpg

3.thumb.JPG.98d5137af5b6b43f1e3be9642c330055.JPG

NardDog

Two fields with the same text was too confusing for some users, so we decided to remove it. Right now you can rename materials using the Materials Hierarchy window (on the left) or directly in the Asset Browser.

It would be easier to rename materials in the future after we will improve materials window behavior on material selection (so it probably would not need to manually expand hierarchy).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 5 months later...

I understood the confusion issue. The only problem I have is it was very easy to double click the name select it all, and rename it. now to right click the material in heirarchy or asset browser takes lot of time to open the window depending on the complexity of the project. and it doesnt properly work with double clicking. rahter have to right click and go to rename. which become tedious when there are lots of materials to rename. hopefully the double click to select full name and change option would be added that might help a lot. Thanks :)

and it doesnt properly work with double clicking. rahter have to right click and go to rename. which become tedious when there are lots of materials to rename.

Could you please tell us what's wrong with slow double-click for renaming? I just tried to do it couple of times and it's working as expected (at least very close to the behavior that Windows Explorer has).

Thanks!

---

Hi, I'll second the NardDog remark. I think this is more about having a smooth workflow, rather than a real difficulty.

With 2.14+, when creating a new material the workflow is frequently like:

1. select the surface
  2. scroll the Parameters window to the material section
  3. eventually click "+" to inherit the material
  4. press the "lock" at the top of the tab, so when selecting the material you won't lose the parameters !
  5. press the "show in browser" for the material or scroll the material hierarchy to get to it
  6. rename it
  7. go back to the Parameters window and eventually "unlock" the window

The steps 4/5/7 are the small road bumps that slow the process.

Maybe having a "rename" button along the material name in the Parameters window could do the trick:

1. by default, the name Edit field would always be to manually enter another material, just like now
  2. toggling the Rename button would grey it out and show another field with "rename to" beside it. (greying out the 1st is important to avoid the previously confusing display)
  3. renaming or toggling the Rename button again would make the "rename to" label and edit field disappear.

Thanks!

Materials renaming operation is for sure important one, but it's not that kind of operation that you constantly doing while you creating a scene, so current workflow should be enough.

Anyway, we will see how else we can improve it in the future SDK updates.

Thanks for the feedback!

---