Perforce and the unigine .Project file

photo

Hello! I've recently discovered that if you have a Unigine project stored on an Assembla Perforce server will cause an interesting issue. 

As long as the file is not checked out, the SDK browser cannot recognize it as a project and thusly cannot open the project in the editor.  When someone checks out the file, it suddenly recognizes it.  The workaround so far is everyone has the .project file checked out.  But this leads to Source Control problems if that file gets changed at all.

Attached is a screenshot to show what I mean.  On the left is what happens when the file is not checked out.  The Open Editor button does nothing, the version is missing, and an Open Folder button is displayed.   On the right is what it updates to when the file is checked out. 

Has anyone had this experience with Perforce and Unigine clashing and does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this safely? 

Thanks,

example.png

Hi,

May I ask why you're using Perforce over other versioning systems?
Git, Plastic SCM.. 

2 years ago I checked Perforce and Plastic, selected Plastic since.
But Perforce may fit other needs better.. 

Kind regards,
Charles

A very fair question, Charles! There's a few reasons that lead us to Perforce.  I'm not sure how much detail I can go into in a public forum like this, but mostly between previous team experience with Perforce, our publisher's requirements, and Perforce being geared towards Game Dev style projects (it's handling of larger art files, etc.) It just made a lot of sense for us to go this way. 

I've worked with a few different source control options for different style projects and I've found that Perforce is super forgiving and easy to learn for people who aren't used to Source Control software.  Some artists, for example, who have never heard of source/version control can be daunted by Git or SVN. But so far most have reacted favorably to what Perforce offers.