Reinforced colors with fog on glass materials

photo

Dear Unigine team,

I am currently running into an unintended behaviour of our tinted glass materials which can be recreated with the plastic_transparent_0 material from the art sample.
For example: I want to have an almost black tinted glass material. If I change the Albedo color of the plastic_transparent_0 material everthing looks fine as long as there is no fog in the scene.
If I am adding fog and changing the color of it, everything behind will look almost negativ or the colors are reinforced if the rendering order is set to default. If the rendering order is set to +1 as shown in the art sample it looks better but the material will "pop out" in the fog or behind the material. This is a problem if the vehicle is surrounded by fog or presented by a car dealership.
So both settings doesn´t seem to get the desired result. I tested different material settings but couldn´t get a good result for both situation with the same material.

Is there a better way of setting up such materials inside Unigine?
Can we prevent this behaviour by changing other parameters or settings?

Kind regards

Hello!

Could you please provide any images of behavior, please? And speaking of fog you are mean using "Haze" or "Volumetric" object? If so, could you attach their settings as well too?

Thanks!

Hi,

Sure. I have attached some images to show the behavior.
By fog I mean a volumetric object. Nothing fancy, I just changed the color to a brighter one.
Have gotten the problem first with both of them (own material), but the issue with the Haze was just a wrong parameter of the material which I have fixed.
By testing I noticed that it depends on the cameras position. If I am near the material, it looks fine. If the camera is far away, it doesn´t look right (Rendering Order: Default).
Maybe I am tricking myself with this, but I would have expected to become the normal fog in front of the glass and a darker one behind the glass just like with the side view of the material.

Used the volume_cloud_base material in the pictures for better visibility, but the volume_fog_base is acting the same.

Material_fog_far.JPG

Material_fog_near.JPG

Material_fog_rendering1.JPG

Material_fog_side.JPG

Material_wo_fog.JPG

Edited by ShadowZelda

ShadowZelda

Since you already have a test scene set up and running - could you please send it to us as well? You can select all the required files and export them as package (starting from 2.14.x SDK).

And if I understand correctly - you need to get a correct visuals when you are looking from inside a car? Or what kind of use-case you are trying to imitate?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I am sorry for the late reply.
I will send you a private message with the files and some screenshots to specify the problem.
I thought I fixed the problems with the haze, but they are still appearing on some objects and I don´t understand why.

At the moment we don´t have an specific use-case for the volumetric box object. I was just curious on the results shown above. Even if I can imagine a car with a fog show for presentation could look really cool.

Thanks for the test scene!

If you can specify the exact needs - we may found a good balance between expectations and reality :) There can be a situation when desired behavior simply can't be achieved due to the current transparent (forward pass) rendering implementation and VolumeBox limitations.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: