Rivers and canals

photo

Hello all,

I moved to the Unigine engine just recently for my own projects (Unity dev before).

I have been doing a lot of research on the Ocean technology that comes with the Unigine engine, it looks absolutely epic and this is one of the major factors to move to Unigine, but to get some questions answered:

1. Should I be using water meshes if I want to create canals/rivers that have locks, to control water height, i assume "water global" is only intended as one infinite body of water?

2. Can anyone point me in the right direction to a tutorial on how to create the best floating mechanic for ships, ship wakes en rudder disturbances in the water?

3. How big of a map could I generate with the community SDK, that won't suffer from 32bit float precision?

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

On 5/26/2021 at 1:36 AM, VuilbaardGames said:

1. Should I be using water meshes if I want to create canals/rivers that have locks, to control water height, i assume "water global" is only intended as one infinite body of water?

You can use ObjectWaterMesh for making rivers and it is also allow you to control water height by using prepared mesh model and for such an object it is impossible to adjust flow, but there are tricks to get around this, read more below.

i assume "water global" is only intended as one infinite body of water?

This is true, also the object has its own flow, but it is applies to the entire area, so you can only change it in one direction for the whole object.

Speaking of rivers and canals there is no tool that would allow you to configure this with sufficient convenience but we have this planned (river tool and river flow material) and the ETA of these features is unknown at the moment, more likely later this year.  Stay tuned!

As for now, there are few options:

- Utilize Water Mesh, however, it's better for lakes or ponds.

- Use Static Mesh with mesh_base material. You can set it semitransparent and turn on UV Animation. This will work for the river seen from a distance.

- Write a custom shader for the project. Obviously, here you can make whatever you want.

- You can also use skinned mesh for some simple animation (some sine wave) and together with UV animation it can look quite OK.

- As for the physical water there is following tutorial which will help solve some sort of the cases

2. Can anyone point me in the right direction to a tutorial on how to create the best floating mechanic for ships, ship wakes en rudder disturbances in the water?

I would recommend you to see this tutorial to get a basic understanding of the objects.

3. How big of a map could I generate with the community SDK, that won't suffer from 32bit float precision?

You allowed to move away at a distance of 10,000 units (meters) from the center of the world (origin)

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Any news on the river tool? It would be nice to have something that would work with water meshes (lakes) and global water (ocean) so you could model river deltas and such.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, bmyagkov said:

the ETA of these features is unknown at the moment, more likely later this year.  Stay tuned!

ETA? Its been some years. But I'm not whining, the global water node is great!

• Like 1