tree cluster

photo

I tried to create an imposter with a trees cluster, but it was not as well made as the method of creating an imposter with a clutter.

What are some useful ways to create an imposter with cluster?

I want 1 tree cluster and 1 tree imposter cluster.  Is this possible?

Edited by dongju.jeong

I have tried to cluster the mesh and imposter together.

However, imposters were not made into clusters.

It would be good if scammers had the ability to group them into clusters.

image.png.bcba1536c0667f7e7630b1df2b308b05.pngimage.png.2555e591c3838bc576e33c661837b919.png

Hello!

ObjectMeshCluster are designed to use only with meshes (such as lights on the runway strip) and only if you have lot of them inside of your scene like hundreds or more, but in case with 10-20 objects you doesn't receive any noticeable performance difference

For trees it's still better to use ObjectMeshClutter, place trees by mask first and then bake whole clutter to imposter, finally you will have only two objects in the world hierarchy - ObjectMeshClutter with all meshes inside and one impostors (ObjectGrass)

But since you still want to use ObjectMeshCluster - try to do following trick that I shown on video below, bake impostor and clone meshes, then collect their impostors to one object:

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you. I'll try it.

The clutter spreads the objects randomly.

I wanted to decorate the detailed environment by setting the exact location and density of the trees as I wanted.

(such as downtown trees)

2 hours ago, bmyagkov said:

place trees by mask first and

that mask mean is Image mask and Mesh Mask? 

image.thumb.png.2981a848a07cbda04d3cdac49035dc8f.png

Edited by dongju.jeong
  • 1 month later...

I know it´s been a long time since this topic was posted, but I am currently running into the (almost) same problem.

I want to create impostors for vegetation, which has to be placed on a specific position. So i cant use clutters. For performance optimization the meshes were summarized in clusters.
The workaround (posted by bmyagkov ) works as long as the scale is equal. But it doesnt work for scaled objects.

How can I achieve that the scaling of the impostor scales with the mesh?
I haven´t found any clue on how to achieve that. I know that the Impostor Creator considers the actual scale of an mesh.
For example:
I create an impostor for tree_1 with scale 1 in x,y,z. The created impostor will fit perfectly. 
I create an impostor for tree_1 with scale 3 in x,y,z. The created impostor will fit perfectly. 
Problem: I can´t reuse an impostor for a mesh with different scales because the impostor will always keep its original size. And that is an problem. I doesn´t want to create x versions of an impostor for the exact same mesh which has only a different scaling. There has to be a better method and I am running out of ideas of what i could try next to achieve this.

I would be very happy if a good solution could be found.

I know that it works for MeshClutter with different scales but I cant use them.
I have read that it will be possible to generate impostors from nodes in the future. Will it also be possible from clusters?
That would be a huge time saver.

System: Windows 10, SDK 2.13

I ve also came to this limitation recently. We were thinking about generating locations of clutters in Houdini (to have better scattering algorithms with collision prevention). My POC for having 100k objects in cluster was succesful, performance seems identical to clutter (quite amazing). But impostors are issue. And loosing nice Unigine impostor system and trying to write something custom doesnt justify this benefit.

Edited by demostenes

The only possible way we see here is to wait until the node-based material editor will be released (2.15). With this graph you will be able to create your own imposter-like material (we do plan to provide an imposter-like sample graph for better understanding.

The only possible drawback is performance with a very dense forests (we didn't test it much by now, but will continue research in this direction prior to 2.15).

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

1 hour ago, silent said:

The only possible way we see here is to wait until the node-based material editor will be released (2.15). With this graph you will be able to create your own imposter-like material (we do plan to provide an imposter-like sample graph for better understanding.

The only possible drawback is performance with a very dense forests (we didn't test it much by now, but will continue research in this direction prior to 2.15).

What about allowing cluster to collect object billboard?

One important point is the performance aspect but also the "popping" of the vegetation which we wanted to avoid with the help of impostors.

As demostenes suggested, it would be a help for now to be able to convert clutters with impostors to cluster with impostors.
But if it isn´t possible in the moment I´ll have to find another workaround for now.

Well, really loocking forward to 2.15 in this case.

Thanks for the replys!

• 6 months later...

adding my feedback for this problem, impostors for clusters is really needed. As for the problem of non scaling bilboards when they are either collected or parented etc, this also very annoying. I find myself making very small clutters just to get correctly scaled billboards under tree meshes and place them on precise locations...

On 11/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, romain.janil said:

adding my feedback for this problem, impostors for clusters is really needed. As for the problem of non scaling bilboards when they are either collected or parented etc, this also very annoying. I find myself making very small clutters just to get correctly scaled billboards under tree meshes and place them on precise locations...

Hello!

Currently we are working on the solution and the upcoming 2.15 release will have some components for this, as @silent early mention it will be possible to create your own imposter-like material for ObjectMeshCluster using node-based material editor.

Thanks!