Car Traffic simulation

photo

I am looking for a possibility to implement a car traffic simulation for a massive amount of cars.
It doesnt need to be interactive, but should work as a simulation for simple roads, stop and go traffic, cars entering/leaving the system.
Are there some existing solutions which somebody can recommend or simulations/middleware to implement?

There was once a city-plugin for Unigine. Could this do that?

Best. Werner

Hi silent,

many thanks for pointing me out. Can't imagine you still remember my video from two years ago. :D I stay in contact with werner.poetzelberger regarding this project.

Hope I can help.

Best

Christian

• 2 years later...

Hi all, resurrecting this thread as I'm looking for a starting point for a fake simplified traffic solution ( like something we can find in game/flight sims): ie, move really low poly meshes or particules (looking like vehicles) either along spline graphs or simple meshes with uv. it wouldn't have to be realistic, just providing some kinda flowing movement in the background for aerial fly overs under camera. Any idea where to start (I think of a specialized shader at first) or if somebody already did that ? thanks for insights.

Rom

Hello Rom,

I'm afraid we cannot contribute too much to this topic, as we were simulating a highway only. We ended up implementing a car following model called Intelligent Driver Model, as described here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_driver_model

Its easy to implement and its fast, so one can simulate a big number of cars. But it simulates only a single queue of cars, no lane changing, no crossroads. We added a lane changing model called MOBIL:

https://traffic-simulation.de/info/info_MOBIL.html

That's all we did on the simulation side. Our main challenge was rendering a huge number of cars. Unless you plan to render a traffic jam on a big highway, that shouldn't be an issue for you. (You should be fine with one Node/NodeReference per car).

But back to the simulation:

During our research we found an open source urban traffic simulator called SUMO ( https://www.eclipse.org/sumo/ ). If I remember correctly its possible to use SUMO as simulator in a background process and query car states via a public API from another process. So in theory you could design and run your traffic Sim in SUMO and render the cars as you need them in Unigine.

Good luck

Helmut

• Like 2

Hi Helmut thanks very much for all this insights.

Just to illustrate my thoughts, here's a raw shot I did 12 years ago (for a commercial) I've just dug up from  a drive, (these are just the pre-comp version so it's a bit pre-viz but it gives a an idea).

At the time I first went to developed uv roads/lanes and translated some pack of alpha test vehicules textures along them. Result were not that good (at least for a time lapse), so I ended up making a real simulation I ran for hours, recorded then accelerated with a now gone software (cityscape I guess) then comped all frames  :

However, what i'm looking now to do would be "generic" version of that which would work only under a short distance from player/camera, in real-time.

I already set up some opensource traffic sim in the past (for more heavy traffic related projects, or Houdini driven solutions ) here it's more a kind of trade of all that I'm looking for. Anyway thanks for your inputs, time for a bit of r&d I guess.

Romain