Particle sprite animation scale

photo

I use a 10 x 10 atlas, but the 

• Animation Scale — the time scale for the animation

seems not doing the right thing.

Or at least it is difficult to understand.

This is connected to the particles Lifetime?

How can I change the speed correctly?

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

I was trying to figure out, how to set the speed of the atlas texture animation in a simple way.

Thinking of animation speed e.g. samples/sec I thought, the animation scale does the deed.

I am not sure if that is the case as the result is not as I expected it to be.
I cannot figure out, how the Animation Scale is functioning and it seems, it is connected to the lifetime of the particle?

How is the logic relation between the atlas texture, numbers of samples, the time it uses to playback through all the samples.

So e.g. I have a lifetime of 1 second, is the complete atlas been played? If i change to 3 seconds, is the complete atlas played, so the animation is slowed down by 3? I would need to scale it up by 3 to achieve the same playback speed?

best. w.

Animation scale affects two parameters: texture atlas playback speed and attenuation, thus, it's better to use another approach for speeding up particles animation.

In 2.12 we replaced attenuation texture with curve editor, but the Animation Scale parameter still interferes this. So this sequence is also depends on the animation scale value:

image.png

What can you do?

There's an alternative configuration. Change LifeTime to increase/decrease animation speed, Velocity to control the particle spread (how far will they fly away) and Spawn Rate to adjust particles density.

22 hours ago, werner.poetzelberger said:

So e.g. I have a lifetime of 1 second, is the complete atlas been played? If i change to 3 seconds, is the complete atlas played, so the animation is slowed down by 3? I would need to scale it up by 3 to achieve the same playback speed?

Texture atlas will be played in the specified Lifetime. So you've understood everything right. The thing is animation scale might just not work for your case and it's better to think of a workaround.

Cheers,
Vsevolod

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: